wiring question?

Ihave noticed that everyone on youtube seems to have flexible wire? I went to home depot and grabbed some 12 guage wire and it isn’t tthat flexible, but has a little flex. See pic showing how I was planning on soldereing these wire connections in series… Should I be getting the flex wire that seems to be copper tinned only everywhere I’ve looked? Is that ok?

thanks!!

That’s going to be turd quality low-strand-count, untinned, PVC-insulated wire. As soon as you start soldering it, the insulation will be melting off as well.

You want high strand count or ultra high strand count (600+ is acceptable, 1000+ is ideal for 12AWG) silicone insulated tinned copper wire. It’s sometimes called Superworm, but that’s a specific brand name.

• silicone insulated
  • high strand count
  • tin plated copper
6 Likes

Try these, if you have 9 weeks for shipping. 12AWG is 680 strands.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801634832936.html

Otherwise hit up your preferred domestic online retailer.

What he said ^^^

The reason for the high strand count isn’t just to get the wires to follow a curve, it’s for fatigue resistance. The hardware store stuff will start breaking at the edges of the solder joints as it’s exposed to vibration.

I can vouch for getFPV as a good NA outlet for silicone wire

2 Likes

So I guess a flexible 12 giraffe is the answer. I don’t have weeks off time. I’m sure Amazon would have an option on the site or maybe a local rc car hobbies place?

1 Like

680 strand 12AWG

3 Likes

this is why I come here every day. to find these little gold nuggets of information like “what’s the best wire”

2 Likes

The wire they sell on the spools is shit, but the pre packaged wire is generally fine, but I still wouldn’t use it in a battery since it is a small gauge anyway. I would only use that wire in a board if you were using it as the wiring for LEDs or some other low current accessory.

It is worth noting that the pre packed stuff has thinner wire strands inside than that wire you bought. I’d add a photo of the comparison (I have some of the shit 10 gauge wire they sell too) but I can’t currently get to where the wire is stored.

This is the brand I usually buy on amazon

1 Like

Hey I need a diagram for the correct order to wire every thing in my enclosure. Like what order from Batt Positive And Negative to put the BMS, ANTI sparl/Power button, Charge Port and finally ESC? Thanks

1 Like

Sounds like the kind of thing you make a build thread for.

“A+” BMS Balance wiring pics “onlyish”. (Seperate thread for only balance wiring criticism/bad examples/questions)

All In One Schematic / Diagrams

try reading these then making build thread for help.

Show us your enclosure insides ( ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)

2 Likes