Wire Gauge Reccommendations

My 6.6 actually came looking pretty on point… didn’t have to fix any of them

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re mistaking the outside diameter of the insulation and the chart you’re looking at is just for the actual copper.
Most motors I’ve seen are 12awg.

8 Likes

Right. There’s no way it’s 7 AWG. I don’t think I have even seen motors with 10 AWG. Typically it’s 12 AWG or even 14 AWG.

7 Likes

This is my 6355 Maytech motor with 12 AWG wires. The black and red wires are 7 AWG. :smile:

2 Likes

10 or even 12 should be fine for your purpose :slight_smile:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Thank you guys for the help, I will stick with the 10 Gauge

2 Likes

Note that the current through the phase wires is sinusoidal in FOC mode. So using .707 as a factor is fine for picking motor wire gauge. That number converts to RMS.
So for example. If you’re choosing a wire and you say 60a is max, then you really only need a wire that can do .707*60 =42 amps

Pretty sure that’s true anyway. Maybe somebody knows for sure. I’m just inferring

That said. I personally just have 10awg and 14awg on hand and use whatever is more appropriate, erring on the side.of too big.

2 Likes

I member the time i made a battery pack for my bud, using 8awg series connection so it could take a punch. Then we ordered a makerx mini and it had 14, i really wanted to cry.

2 Likes

7awg is bigger than the 5.5mm connector without insulation haha

Whenever I rewire phase wires 12ga. Is my go to…

2 Likes

do you rewind stators too? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Not SK3s or SK8s

But yeah I’ve been known to…

The epoxy over-coat on the SKs makes the job untenable…

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Always wanted to wind a motor from scratch, no idea what for :laughing:
How long does it take on average?

3 Likes

Your first one will take for-fucking-ever…

But after practice it only takes a couple of hours to pack all the copper in there gUud-n-tight. And terminate it properly

Getting the wire off the stator, on some motors is often times more difficult that the actual rewinding

4 Likes

Dunk the whole thing in an etching solution.
Dissolve the copper and the core remains.
The dispose of several liters of toxic waste :smiley:

Your dino dildo antenna will be simulated tonight btw. Took too long to generate the solid last night

2 Likes

If i could figger out a cheep, easy method of reinsulating the stator core i’d be in like flynn!

1 Like

How do they insulate that core anyway, is it powdercoat!?

Naaah it must be a dip right?

It’s some sort of high-temp epoxy or sumpin’…

1 Like

Yeah but they dip that? Or how do they do that, maybe we can st34l it xD

Im getting some motors in from @PixelatedPolyeurthan soon and im quite interested in the rewiring stuffs.

1 Like