Winterizing an Eboard

I know you’re a fan of the butyl, any idea how well this stuff retains its adhesion after being exposed to the elements?

Very well actually. It will develop a layer of grit on the outside. Aside from the dirt, the stuff itself will still be malleable and sticky.

2 Likes

so I took @b264’s suggestions of butyl, the stuff is like armour. grit, water, mud, horse shit, nothing gets in there. my VESC is bone dry inside my enclosure when it’s pouring rain out. now my main concern for the elements is if my tires will grip the black ice that got rained on

as a bonus it sticks to it’s self basically permanently, you can craft it into whatever shape you need, slap another couple strips on them gaps, perfect seal. and the adhesion kind of spreads around tight corners to fill in cracks.

3 Likes

The stuff still blows my mind how good it is for making a vehicle water resistant.

3 Likes

after taping up my main squeeze I went and ordered like 3m of it 50cm wide for future projects

2 Likes

I prefer the thinner stuff and often end up cutting it in half. Good stuff though.

Just don’t set it down for a moment on your workbench while you’re working with it… only set pieces of it on a plastic bag LOL

4 Likes

yeah I learned the hard way when some of my clothes came out of the washer with bits still stuck on.

1 Like

I also learned the hard way :rofl:

1 Like

Man that’s good to hear it’s properties hold up! Ordered some thin tape on top of the thick black stuff

I’ve taken it off after 6 months of rainy action and it was totally reusable. Though I cut the parts off that had sand and grit stuck to them.

4 Likes

I usually seal both sides with silicone or liquid tape. During riding in snow there shouldn’t get much water inside anyways. I do clean cables from snow with a brush directly after I come home. If there still getting a bit water inside the box I don’t see a big issue as long as it’s getting dry before switching on the board again. Different story with a battery box but there you could probably use something like this

2 Likes

Also I’m lately trying out gasket maker.
Something like this

Seems to work well but did not do too much of testing with it yet.

2 Likes

Good shit @Andy089 did I also see you use spiral cord protector on top of your nylon sleeves on your winter build?

@Andy87 I think that’s for you

1 Like

Another datapoint, this stuff is really popular on sailboats. They used to use silicone and urethane based sealants to bed hardware to the decks, but pretty much everyone has switched to butyl tape. Those who have pulled up old hardware after 20 years find the stuff to still be sticky and elastic. For deck hardware that moves around slightly under load, that’s exactly what you want. It’s pretty amazing stuff and I could see it working well on a skateboard.

3 Likes

Lol woops wtf there’s 2 Andy 0xx

How would you compare it to sugru?

1 Like

Anyone have an AliExpress link for good butyl tape?

1 Like

not even close. sugru is essentially play-dough compared to butyl tape. I tried to sugru everything and it eventually just cracked off and didn’t make a decent seal anymore.

I’ve bought it off about 5 different sellers on Ali, it’s all the same stuff just slightly different costs. no issues like nickel where you risk getting fake shit.

2 Likes

Lol

2 Likes