Winterizing an Eboard

Problem with Archoil, you can’t get it in EU :sob:

Just got a new Bestech BMS and I have 2 new questions:

1. It came conformally coated - is it good enough as is or should I coat it again?
  2. Is an external BMS an option just for charging or does the connector add too much failure risk / is always balancing better?

I so want this scoop thing for my bajaboard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After seeing the recent post from the friendly Icelander, I found my way to this thread and thought I’d bump it.

@ZachTetra did you ever have any luck with putting studs in your tires? Or did you go the flathead screw route? What size pneumatics are you using?

@Jordicious was your winterizing project a success? Were you able to waterproof everything well enough?

@Skatardude10 what kinds of bearing do you use? Would you recommend spending the extra money on some ceramic bearings since they supposedly stand up to water and heat better?

@Andy87 I’ve seen that you have some experience with studding tires. What are your recommendations for 8 inch MBS tires? Specifically these MBS T1s or these MBS T3s.

@Mainflow Have you seen/heard of someone successfully using custom tire chains on an esk8/MTB?

1 Like

I use zealous ceramics, they are only like $27. @b264 doesn’t recommend them, but I haven’t had any issues.

1 Like

It didn’t snow at all :sob:…wasn’t work the effort at that point

1 Like

I live in an area where it likes to snow, then rain, then snow, then rain… so yea, I wanna spike my wheels up haha. Lucky you that it didn’t snow though :slight_smile:

nope :slight_smile:

Damn :frowning:

Thread revival time??? Lol
I left this project to the side for a while as I wasn’t able to get conformal coating shipped to my address…
However I’m headed back home for a week so waterproofing will be one of the major upgrades I’ll be working on - I’ll be sure to post results of that endeavor either here or in my build thread!

I don’t think it’s been done but don’t let that stop you from being the first!!!

2 Likes

I’m honestly wondering if it’s possible to do it while working around whatever drive system is in place. Hub motors would be the easiest to work with, but I’m gonna have to work around a gear drive. Still, definitely something I might try out. I’m getting some inspiration from this style of shoe chains… maybe there would be two rubber rings with chains between them that could easily be put on to pneumatic tires… but I don’t know anything about fabrication, so I’ll have to do some more research :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@T-Nomad I used that tire profile you linked, but the cheap AliExpress version. They have a harder compound than the original mbs tires which I though helps to hold the studs in place.

1 Like

If I remember right @Chibatterysystems made some chains for 8“ wheels back in 2016 or 17. Haven’t been cheap thou and I don’t know if they really worked out.

1 Like

Found it @T-Nomad

3 Likes

Nice! That thread led me to this link http://www.slipnottraction.com/ where you can order custom sized ones! Awesome.

1 Like

Summoning @b264 the mg 419d expert…
Can this stuff be used on connectors like the jst-ph et cetera?

1 Like

the salt cut my davega wires :lying_face:

2 Likes

I use it for that but there might be a better option, I don’t know

anyone got any tips on how to protect cables/wires beyond the typical nylon sleeves for snowy riding? @Andy87 ? I’m afraid the snow will sneak into the nylon and make it’s way into my top mounted esc enclosures =/

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. Sealed the sensor cables with butyl tape but how will snow not soak into the cable sleeve and make its way in?

1 Like

Put butyl tape on the inside where the sleeve ends.

3 Likes