Winterizing an Eboard

You should try grease. Saw it recommended on silverfish. Can’t feel difference between oil, even pushing. (Lucas x-tra heavy duty grease)

1 Like

6 Likes

Anyone used 8 inch primo alpha tires in the snow/slippery icy streets and trails? Ill probably get some snow in Janauri and im contemplating if my wheels are adequite for a long cruise through the snow.

This idea is so awesome!
It has much more potential than on the first look imo.
Im so happy I found Eskating in my life.
The future is now.

1 Like

its not a bright future tho, if they left the front truck orientated like that :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

It could be intentional I can see there being a use case for a treaded vehicle that crabs rather than turns. Or it could very well be the reason they are selling it, can’t figure out why it turns like crap.

3 Likes

I never purchased it.
It may still be for sale in LA.
treads may be a fine idea, but those plastic things look like they wont stand up to much

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect those treads to turn well regardless lol :stuck_out_tongue:

If you like slides they will do well :sweat_smile:
I had some more or less good result with mbs 9“ wheels and 4 wd in snow, but as soon as you get onto ice it doesn’t matter which wheels you have. Only spikes help in this case.

5 Likes

ore custom snow chains.

1 Like

@annihil8ted check this thread :+1:t4:

1 Like

not this model but the idea has to be adapted by some builders.
I saw a guy on youtube experimenting with something similar.

What if you used a grease that has a high resistance to washout and solvents.

1 Like

I’ve used the palm technique to pack bearing

yeah sealed bearing are a lot of fiddly work to maintain… better, as you suggest, to treat them as consumables and not sweat the small irritating stuff!

2 Likes

too difficult? we disagree here… :sunglasses:

for me, cleaning bearings occasionally is like meditation. Reviving dieing bearings to like new performance is just so satisfying.

Heres my technique for cleaning (and winterizing bearings ): I begin by using a solvent spray to loosen up the gunk, then spray them out with a hot water jet real good while spinning them until they roll smooth. I then shake them in IPA, roll them a bit submerged in another clean jar of IPA until all the grit is gone, wipe them clean and let them dry. Then I apply liberal amounts of Teflon dry lube and let them dry- they don’t roll so well immediately after drying, just takes a couple spins to get them smoothed out completely. After that I pack a couple large glops of white lithium grease from a tube in there and press the seals back on, about enough to completely fill half the inside of the bearing. A couple rolls installed and they come out rolling like butter, and they stay that way for a long time. I’ve been riding in salt, puddles, some off-road, dirt, etc on the same set of bearings prepped this way for over a year and they still are 99% as good as the day I cleaned/prepped them this way… somehow. Reds won’t do this for me, only sealed on one side and they need a lot more mxs.

5 Likes

Don’t waste good beer on bearings!
/jk

4 Likes

I like denatured alcohol over the IPA but IPA is safer to be around and white lithium grease to me isnt a good grease to me but it depends on weather conditions. Archoil is nice and is proven as a good bearing grease as it is what zealous uses.

1 Like

Who has a link for tire spikes? I wanna get ready for the ice

Or should I buy a pack of 100 #4 flathead wood screws and drive them in from the inside with some tape to protect the tube?

1 Like

Tape then rubber cement or something all over.

Garage54 style

1 Like