Widening wheel hubs

I designed and made these to fit on the outside of existing Bio boards plutonium wheels using original hardware and bolts, so you don’t need spacers or anything. Just replaces the outside half of the wheel. New hub width is a total of 70mm wide. Material is 7075 aluminium - aerospace grade. I created a separate post for it in parts section, for any Plutonium 1 owners interested in following progress.

12 Likes

@Jley these are beautiful. Nice work.

2 Likes

Thanks, that really means a lot. They only weigh, 270 g each , coupled with the back half they are 30% lighter than kaly hellcat rims. they will be somewhat similar in mass to a trampa deep dish superstar 8. The hellcat rims are probably quite over-engineered in my humble opinion. Awesome though, i have a set and used them to get some reference points for these.

6 Likes

Thanks man. Appreciated:)

@Drpoppinoff come on mate, stop posting the same shit in every thread. You are seriously making this forum a bit of shit stain at the moment.

I honestly think you might want to consider seeking help.

1 Like

I honestly think the mods might want to consider shadow-banning. :laughing:

@Drpoppinoff, your ass’s speaking, get your head in here and let’s roll our way out of here please

You guys think this will work?

1 Like

What do you mean?

I widened and printed the outer half of the rim, haven’t tested it yet. I still need to print 3 more.

Oooh I see it now. Looks like it worked well. You going to roll the die on 3D print or get it machined after some testing?

Still not sure, considering testing the 3d prints then might machine some.

1 Like

i personally wouldn’t trust 3dp hubs on an eskate, however if you don’t ride fast, keep off of rough terrain, and don’t jump you might be ok.

1 Like

I’ve made a set of wideners for the rockstar ii pro xl hubs. +20mm width for larger tyres like the 9x3.5-4 that I have here. At the moment I have it printed out of PLA+, hopefully it will hold up as I’m quite hard on gear, especially on tyres. Tried printing nylon but I struggled with it so much that I just printed these out from PLA+. When I have some spare time I might give nylon a go again but its a pain in the butt on my printer at least. Or once I get my CNC up and running (probably 2 months later) then I’m gonna cut them out of aluminium just to be sure

This tyre definitely looks stretched a little bit, but I have a set of slicks coming that are slightly wider so I imagine the fit is going to be perfect for those.

3 Likes

Simpler method for metal ones is sendcutsend, ive used it for these exact hubs and i think i even still have the file.

2 Likes

Yeah I am aware of your design, but it I would like to use the interlocking feature between the two sides of the hub. This design has that feature implemented. Sadly its not possible to do that feature with a laser / waterjet.

1 Like

Dam @rich your tire/hub set up is perfect (8" 200x50 clever tires stretched patch w/ Etoxx hubs 60mm) but are there any other hub options able to achieve the wider patch w/out having to pick up an additional part time gigalo job!?

Maybe the mbs rockstar pro 2 XL alums? I don’t like the way the trampa hubs look.

Also how can I google search for those particular 8" clever (off road?) tires? I only see the AT’s.

Can you post a pic of the side view of that/your combo?

Bad ass.

1 Like

You could buy one of the new MBS hubs if youn want to save money. On the pro 2 XL’s is a gap on the outside when you use 8" tires.

The clever tires are available on aliexpress from various dealers for example this

200X50 Wheels With Drive Gear 8X2" Tire and Inner Tube for Electric Scooter Wheel Chair Truck Pneumatic Trolley Cart (aliexpress.com)

I searched for a long time but didn’t find any photos, then I remembered that these were the V1 secret prototypes and I didn’t take any photos from the side in combination with clever tires. But I have this video from 2019 shredding with the E-toxx Gang in Germany.

1 Like

perhaps:

2 Likes

Hell yeah great video bad ass set up on the board.

Do the rockstar pro 2 alum XL’s and non xl’s for that matter actually give you a wider tire patch like they boast? Yes, the rim is wider but The diagram shows several widths for several sized tires on each hub model. for example the reg alum non xl hubs shows 45mm, 44mm & 39mm wide grooves. I’m assuming the wider grooves are for the taller tires but 44/45mm isn’t really wider than standard hubs. There not even as wide as the standard 200x50 tire.

The mbs alum xl’s diagram shows 4 grooves at 44,45,54 & 60mm but can I use the 54 or 60mm width grooves for 8" (200x50) tires to give it a true wider patch?