Why you should want Hummie Hubs and how to get them

Originally published at: http://esk8.news/why-you-should-want-hummie-hubs-and-how-to-get-them/

With all the excitement over sweet AWD pneumie builds, tempting direct drive motors, and awesome esk8 events being pulled off all around the world, something pretty amazing is getting lost in the mix:

Hummie Hubs are being offered again.

For those well-versed in the esk8 DIY world, these hubs need no introduction. All over the forums, people have kicked themselves into a pink mist for not jumping into the last round of Hummies. But for those who might need a refresher on these bad boys, let’s go back over what this unique drivetrain offers:

• 80mm wide replaceable urethane and matching ABEC Centrax fronts
  • High quality Paris 195 front and rear trucks along with a beefy 12mm motor hanger
  • A KV rating of around 80 for a great mix of torque and top speed
  • The option to run a sensorless FOC mode that is every bit as good as sensored FOC
  • An acceptable voltage range from 6S to 14s 
  • Top speeds of between 30 & 32 at 12s, 34 & 35 at 13s.
  • These hubs are a very popular setup for racers everywhere
    and a 4WD setup makes for a super-fast and incredibly well-controlled race board

It’s safe to say that these are as far away from mainstream hubs as you can possibly get. For many riders, they perform better than most belt drive systems and have less moving parts so less wear. They’re even better better than the acclaimed Carvon V4’s in both performance, wear and durability.

Mike Maner, one of the strongest contributors to esk8.news, was seriously skeptical when it came to these 83mm hub motors when they were first offered. After trying a set, he was forced to admit that the Centrax-wide wheelbase and high-quality urethane sleeves delivered way more comfort than he thought possible, and the performance was every bit as good as promised. He still rides them every chance he gets.

Mike also adds:

“I previously held the opinion that larger wheels, meaning taller, were the key to higher speeds, more comfort, and better control. Since riding Hummie Hubs I am happy to say I was partially wrong. While larger wheels give you more speed, assuming no other changes, wider wheels give you more comfort and control.

With the Hummie Hubs performance value coupled with the ABEC Centrax formula and wide stance, I can run over obstacles with more confidence and safer results than 100mm + wheels. The wide track/stance creates a lot of real estate where obstacles can pass the surface of the wheel and the softness of the formula creates a substrate that is perfect for grip and form.

One of the greatest aspects of these wheels is the low center of gravity you create when you install them on a drop deck. You’re so close to the ground that carving is much less work and much more stable. For me, the words “Lush” and “Performance” do a good job of describing Hummie Hubs.

Pro tip: Switching the FOC frequency to 30k makes it very quiet with zero other downsides.”

Yes, they’re on Kickstarter and here’s why that’s a good thing.

Unlike many kickstarter campaigns being put together by new and untested entrepreneurs, this one is being offered by someone who has already delivered products that not only met but exceeded the expectations of his buyers and supports his products to the point of his own detriment. He actually offers a lifetime warranty on his stuff. Where else are you going to find that?

This attitude is true of this previous 3 generations of quality hubs and also the case with his acclaimed esk8 decks. So with a proven track record behind him, Kickstarter is a great way for Hummie to conduct the business end of this venture.

Not only that, but Hummie routinely offers his gear with very little profit margin for himself, something unique in a time where greed often raises its ugly head. So you’re getting a performance-to-cost ratio that you just can’t find anywhere else. To that end, the prices on his Kickstarter include full extra sets of sleeves and wheels.

Whether you’re someone looking to inject serious life into a budget board or someone building an outright DIY monster, Hummies are a bolt-in answer that will give you everything you want.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755906511/hummie-hub-motors

21 Likes

Thanks for posting this!

A couple things:

-tires are 83mm as are the centrax
-price includes 4 tires and 4 centrax
-Lifetime warranty!

8 Likes

Happy to support your awesome work. Edits made. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to add.

3 Likes

Could you expand on this? Are there warranty terms & conditions available?

1 Like

I have them and still building a ride, but I want sensors

Tell me technocrats: how does one retrofit encoders (not hall)to fit these marvels?

Halls no room, I understand that.

If using encoders, the magnet needs to fit on the end of a motor shaft, with hummies, the motor is encased in the hub, but there must be a way to fit a magnet and have the encoder pcb point towards it? Surely

There is a solution out there somewhere

The warranty covers everything but bearings and tires. Even if u somehow blow ur esc Where it turns to a short and burns out the motor send them back n I’ll replace the parts.

A hall sensor could fit in as the sensors themselves are tiny but I never felt the urge to get some design of maybe a 3D print or a minimalistic pcb made that would fit without having to reduce the motor size. its possible but would take some doing. There’s a hair more room on the far side of the motor.

Maybe I’m wrong and sensors can be put in and be reliable but so far they seem the weakest link and what happens when ur running sensored and they break? Maybe it isn’t a danger.

4 Likes

Sensors are not needed with these. From absolute standstill there’s little cogging with my 85 kilos but even the slowest rolling is sufficient to get them going without cog, a full push is not necessary.

4 Likes

are you able to attach or make a larger tire for them

to run at higher speeds

1 Like

Good points, I’ll sit down :man_facepalming:

1 Like

If Kickstarter succeeds we’ll have the money for the 83mm tires The mold cost and minimum quantity will be 13000$. If we get that done the expensive inner part of the molds will be also usable for a bigger tire. That hurdle won’t be so expensive

But all these direct drives with giant wheels…I went with a long smaller wheel for efficiency and to keep the temp down.
If Kickstarter succeeds that’s the next goal as I know so many people don’t care about eff as much and just want it. Understandable.

6 Likes

A bigger wheel like 90mm and cut harfang style would be awesome. I’m currently thinking about casting mbs style over hummie sleeves, but I will only do that when one set is worn out. I might even try a new rain pattern since I have to create a mold instead of just making a silicone negative of the mbs wheels… Mhhh

3 Likes

hummies will be better, I’ll bet you 100 bucks. nothing against the elofty motors, but these are quiet and powerful and bullet proof. get them. now.

6 Likes

at almost 2.5x the cost, they had better be better :stuck_out_tongue:

the real question is hummie hubs vs TBDD’s!

6 Likes

I have close to 6000 miles on mine, zero issues. I havent ridden the TB DD’s but I expect them to be awesome.

5 Likes

why on earth did you let this guy write an article, he’s such an opinionated tit

I think they have strong opinions because they like the motors and want the kickstarter to succeed. Everyone has an opinion on something and with these motors having little exposure its nice to hear the positive feedback and support

10 Likes

Wow, what a start…

4 Likes

I don’t know what your issue is, but frankly you can go get bent. If you don’t like the article, fine. At least have the courtesy and respect of peoples work to offer constructive criticism. All you did is tell the world your an ass hat.

BTW, username checks out.

12 Likes

Lick my butthole…

6 Likes