Why is no one making / selling top mount enclosures?

Question for the people that don’t like rectangles, what shape would you prefer? Like a trapezoid or something similar? The shape that @glyphiks made? Trapezoid is the only thing that comes to mind that would be space effective IMO.

I could think of some interesting ideas that are 3d printed with aluminum lids. Then glass reinforce the 3d printed portion. But this would def be cost prohibiting for maaaaany people.

This thread more seems targeted at r&d for alternatives rather than cost effective solutions though.

Also @EreTroN I got one of the apex predator decks as well and was looking to design a top mount case for myself, no promises on how long it would take but I could try to make 2 when I get around to it

8 Likes

I actually like the look of the “peli” style cases. I’m not saying the homemade ones could look better but like Alan @eBoosted said already they are cheap and have all the features.

3 Likes

I was thinking about using e bike battery enclosures so I can use the same battery’s on my e bike and e board. If you stick to the same mounting type you could also easily switch between light jump packs and bigger long range packs.

9 Likes

Aren’t most of those 13S or 14S though?

1 Like

I saw these slide on one’s and was super pumped until I remembered I have bindings in the way :expressionless:

I really like how my 60v lawnmower battery slides in and spring clips in. Idc as much about the slide in prong contacts but if I could unplug the battery cable from the enclosure box, undo the spring clip or buckle clamp, and take a whole enclosed battery off in under 10 seconds, I’d be in heaven.

2 Likes

you can buy empty boxes with spacers and configure them how you want.

maybe you could put the battery at an angle so it misses the bindings? Wouldn’t look great but might be very practical

There are also ones that slide in sideways

5 Likes

their key latching method of locking the battery to the mount is actually not bad

2 Likes

I’ve got something in the works, once I’m done design phase I will be looking for a few trusted people to test with

There are other vendors with things in works too, Apex probably, moon maybe, the new 3ds one, etc. Before too long there should be some good options

2 Likes

from an ease of design standpoint, why not simply make something that looks good, and covers an existing, functional box, like a pelicase?

4 Likes

I had planned to make or buy a Pelican battery pack and plug it into whatever board I’m riding. Would save some money over multiple packs. Make sure there are USB ports so the box can be used for other stuff too.

2 Likes

I mean it’s more weight, but aesthetic mods could be cool. Pelican cases are pretty bulky to begin with

1 Like

Trampa uses shower caps.

5 Likes

i personally think the r60 and the v100 are rather stylish, if not the largest. but if the entire issue is “peli case ugly,” i think a 3d printed frame for it, or perhaps directly building onto the case with fiberglass or something, is the natural solution.
the v200 looks good, and comes in a few colors.

internal dimensions are pretty ok, too.

6 Likes

Cie-solutions.com/high-performance-motorcycle-battery

6 Likes

yo that would look dope as hell mounted on the tail.

1 Like

On my upcoming drift trike. :rofl:

4 Likes

in my opinion… and this is only my opinion. literally anything between your feet at all aside from artwork is ugly. but i build street boards. Every time i see a properly built mountainboard with bindings and a top box, chains or gears, knowing full well it totally kicks ass and knowing it can fly off the roof of a house and land in the dirt and not break and keep throwing dirt everywhere, i think to myself “wtf that shit looks hideous.”

i agree somebody should come up with an attractive top box, but good luck with that, whoever you are working on it.

17 Likes

^^what he said. top mounts ugggggly.
now, if someone built a reliably crush proof bottom mount enclosure that you could legit trust to handle everything a top mount mountainboard can… u gib. u gib now.

2 Likes

My 2c:

Same concept, four boards.

• 3D printed sides, loopkey holder, hinges and lid.
  • TPU gasket all around (splashproof)
  • Thumbscrews go into brass inserts, easy to open to charge LiPos
  • Wooden bottom screwed on to the walls, silicone between them.
  • Inserts in the deck, 4x M5 screws, 4x washers and 4x TPU spacers, done.

It’s cheap af, I let my friends customize the lid and it’s proven to survive hundreds of km. I know it’s not for everyone, but I’m pretty happy after several iterations.

10 Likes

that shit needs to be able to GRIND on stuff, take impacts like mad, and be puncture proof, not just resistant. When i rode my flux in the woods, a peice of rock with rebar in it scraped my enclosure and exposed the insides. Wrong material.

Maybe some mix of slick / slippery rubbery plastic like whatever the evolve enclosures are made of, but laced with kevlar or something and then additional bottom and side plating inside the enclosure to prevent punctures. Something like a Lacroix enclosure, but in these materials instead.

3 Likes