Why does everyone go gaga for FOCboxes?

So you would take the “unity risks and delivery problems” if they were back at it again with the white Van’s…I mean black focboxes?

1 Like

Yes I would but only for 2 pieces at a time, maybe more upon delivery. And only because the FOCBOX 1.7 was an amazing product. But they would never have more than two controllers worth of my money before the products were delivered, and I’d treat that as gambling expenses. “If you can’t lose it, don’t risk it”

4 Likes

Never had a FOCBOX and probably never will ~ but I salute the quality of the damn thing.

@Trampa if you’re able to pull a tiny super powered VESC6 what have you been up to until now? I mean why the square 60x60ish footprint? (That’s my rough way of saying that I believe there’s a market for it)

1 Like

And I can dig that, from a business standpoint. I would further argue that 60 ddays in it was obviouse that the Unity as not ever going to sell in the numbers that the FocBox did, so manufacturing times would be longer (instead of shorter) because smaller numbers lead to a lower priority for manufacturers, in turn creating demand problems.

I personally would have kept the FocBox and bumped the price on the Unity 20-30% and called it a day, at least after 60 days .

That being said, we can armchair quarterback all we want. I am sure there are decision criteria here that we know nothing about.

6 Likes

why are you calling me a nOOb?

FOCBOX for sale.

$126

4 Likes

So it seems there’s multiple version of the FOCbox then? Is 1.7 the last one they released? How is it different than other iterations?

1 Like

It started as the VESC - X looked kinda different

Then there was the 1.6 version looked like 1.7 but different somehow

And finally 1.7
I have no idea what I’m talking about :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

They fix the issue with the ESC blowing when canbus becomes unplugged

6 Likes

We just let it at this statement

2 Likes

Oh yeah VESCs blowing up because of that is pretty stupid.

1 Like

I agree with all besides

If the fets blow they most likely take the pcb with them. No way to repair them besides you change the full pcb

1 Like

They don’t blow up because of this.
Just the can bus get fucked. You still can run them with dual receiver or y-split

1 Like

Is there a way to check which version a FOCbox is? Does it say it on the unit somewhere or do you have to check the hardware somehow? Thanks BTW everyone for contributing to this discussion!

1 Like

Take off the housing, its on the opposite side than the FETs

3 Likes

I always seem to choose the wrong time to buy stuff.

I want a vesc6 now. Trampa seems to innovate in something, TB soon releases a vesc based on the 6. If i buy one now, i’m already outdated once the new stuff comes out.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about having the latest toy, as long as what you get works well and is reliable. I almost went for a pair of unities during the easter sale, but instead just got some used focboxes (cause I could get them NOW). Best thing I did, I might still be waiting on them unities, instead I got to ride all summer. Maybe the unity is better, but my focboxes aren’t broken and to be honest I don’t care what’s inside the board as long as it works.

9 Likes

I gone an’ smoked myself retarded

3 Likes

Not sure what my next set of escs would be. I was able to get my unity really quick cuz I got it off of eBay lmfao. It arrived pretty fast. With some digging around I started to realize that shit was going down and did panic for a while.

In all honesty though I got this because it was my first build and with my research it led me to know that it would be the easiest to get into for now. With time and also whatever is out there I’ll maybe get something else down the line.

For the moment I’m relatively happy with my unity, with not issues yet so knock on wood.

We are making new neoBOX from this design. We expect ready for text in few week.

16 Likes