Why does everyone go gaga for FOCboxes?

Other than the fact that enertion makes them no more - why does everyone love these controllers so much? What’s the advantage over the unity? What firmware do they run on? They sell like hotcakes - what’s the allure??

2 Likes
  • Known to work “flawlessly”.
  • Proven.
  • Not a dual controller.
  • Reliable.
  • Official Vesc fw and ack supported.
  • Do I need to continue? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
18 Likes

what firmware do they run? 4.12? I think I scored a set

2 Likes

Yea. Focboxes are based on 4.xx hw

1 Like

OK I’m just curious I guess how focboxes would be more reliable than say TBVescs (4.12 )? I’ve been running a pair of those for prolly around 1K KM with no issues other than slightly higher temps when it’s 90 degrees + outside, and they’re very cheap! Cheaper new than a couple used focboxes usually. Maybe they’re more fragile and susceptible to damage? IDK I’m just pontificating potential reasons out loud :man_shrugging:

I personally never owned TB Vesc. From what I read, they don’t run very well on FOC or higher settings. Focbox can handle the above.

2 Likes

Oh that’s true they heat up a bit on FOC but I run BLDC anyway so not a prob for me

deckoz been running focboxs at 13s for a while.

That’s what I ran on my first DIY 12s build because at the time they were available and the most trusted thing available.

7 Likes

What he said also :point_up:t4:

Focbox can run higher erpm limit based on a few builds around here

1 Like

hell yeah thanks guys. OK one last question; better and more reliable than the unity you think?

Personally, i’ll take the single focbox over unity because it’s proven and reliable. Maybe give it a few more months for the unity to get better?

3 Likes

Focbox - heatsink and boxed in a case
Tb - no heatsink no case

4 Likes

If these focboxes were so amazing why hasn’t another reliable company come out with something as simple and flawless as the original focobx?

4 Likes

Because they are still a 4.12 @ heart and have the downsides of a V4.12 hardware.
Two shunts only, not very ideal for FOC operation and non linear in power delivery.
https://vesc-project.com/node/403
Production cost is relative high.
There is probably not enough margin in sales and in consequence the
manufacturers want something that is cheaper to produce.
Cheaper price, more sales… Most users can’t see the differences in quality anyway.

7 Likes

if Enertion could do it couldn’t someone like Flipsky or BKB pull it off?

3 Likes

They are the choice of the Illuminati, those who do not follow the blood sacrifice required often experience an immediate drv error.

The backwards logo should tell you everything you need to know :wink:

13 Likes

@deckoz what about ack firmware?

1 Like

Would you or Benjamin ever entertain the idea of bringing a focbox sized vesc 6 to the market?

1 Like

It would be a lot lot smaller…

5 Likes

Hey, this is awesome.
I heard somewhere that the vesc is limitd to 60k erpm, looks like your setup is much higher. Did you set an erpm limit or just “run it 'till the wheels fall off”, lol.

One thing that I like in an ESC is for all components to be properly supported. I had a flipsky fesc that had the capacitors shake loose since they are basically just hanging off the side of the PCB. Focbox caps are seem partially bedded in the PCB… never had a problem…

1 Like