Whooshboards motor mounts, truck, pulleys +++

The BN hangers are hex on one side where the calibers are rounded. Probably would depend on the clamp.

I honestly just started playing around with it. I’ve been tinkering around with f360 and even researching designing a gear drive.
But I’ve been frustrated with the motor mount options. For front mount rkp, most of the mounts are just too long on the market which makes clearance tough. My motors have taken a beating because of it.
Second was the need to reorient the motors position to give a better path for the wiring. You’re one of the only vendors I’ve seen that have the motor oriented the way I did as well, 45* from everyone else’s. I’ve got damaged cables from the interference of them hitting the truck clamp because of the way they exited.

You’ve got a good lineup there. There’s honestly too many mounts that are trying to be an all in one. They’re either too short to be good rear mounts or too long to be efficient underneath.

Yours have a few more mm of distance between axle and motor than the ones I drew up. And the biggest weakness of them being shorter is not having space for an idler. Which you captured perfectly

:beers: I’ll pick up a set when the funds recover one of these days. Nice work

3 Likes

I saw you were using pan heads for the M5 bolts. Are you using stainless hardware? Tensile strength is significantly lower and it’s much easier to strip. I’m using them now because i had extras from the enclosure, but they’re not ideal
[M4 socket cap with washer](US $6.46 | M4 M4*10/12/16 M4x10/12/16 12.9 Grade Black Carbon Steel Allen Head Hexagon Socket Bolt Spring Plain Washer Assembly Screw Set https://a.aliexpress.com/EJEbyCre)

If you switched the motor bolts to something like this, you could use the same 3mm hex that the 5mm pan heads have. The socket caps use a size higher than the pan heads, which is great because 2.5mm hex drives are easy to strip (that’s the pan head m4 size).
Socket caps have a lower surface area (7mm for m4) compare to pan heads (7.8mm I think). But these have narrow washer measuring 7.9. So you get a larger hex drive and the same effective surface contact. They are deeper however.

2 Likes

Yes, I have looked into other screws because of this. At least for the motor. Screws going through the clamp have the lock nut, so those are easy to get tightened hard without stripping, only holding screw in place and tighten using the nut does the trick.

They aren’t the same, but mostly compatible. The BN “precision” series clamps do not fit Caliber, only BN.

I don’t have any, but I’d guess Whoosh mounts probably fit BN hangers. If they don’t, JB Weld fixes anything.

5 Likes

Thanks to @dani for sharing his knowledge :+1:

https://dosimplecarbon.com/whooshboards-precision-truck-stress-analysis/

7 Likes

Looking forward to see them in real life!

1 Like

Ingenious @Janux-esk8 :thinking::smirk: what happened with the unique janux 360 rotational lock system™?

2 Likes

I always forget that I need to tell people when I am being sarcastic… if you are done posting your product shots on my vendor corner thread, the slot lock system you have there on the evolve truck is called “Whooshboards 360 radially laterally in the Janus system lock™” Go put that on your webshop if you wish… There… Its out of the system

4 Likes

All good bro! Feel free to delete anything I posted on this thread :wink:

1 Like

mikael, looks to me like marc took your idea and ran with it. assuming prior art, i hope every motor/gear mount manufacturer adopts or evolves marc’s iteration of your idea. i, for one, will forever celebrate the genius that set the ball in motion :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

What 50xx motors are people running these days? Still racerstar with 38mm bolt pattern?

2 Likes

Racerstar 5065

3 Likes

Racestar 5065 all the way :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yea the race star 38 matches what flipsky sells as well, which is the same motor

1 Like

5 Likes

What trucks and mounts are those? @mutantbass

The mounts have a 30mm hole so I used a file to extend the holes in a X shape.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: Haha, seagull trucks :joy: what a name. Wonder where they got the inspiration from :smirk: (Gullwing)

4 Likes

Would be cool if you knocked out a precision short hanger 50.xx setup Mikael.

3 Likes

do you do one-offs with custom motor patterns?

1 Like