Who will be the new king when it comes to esc's?

Mannequins don’t have one. Why do you think Ken Carson turned gay?

1 Like

Finish your build so I know weither I should ride this thing lol. Jk haha. We shall see tomorrow if I will be number 3 of the hot fet group @Flasher

1 Like

I’ve got motors coming this week and my gt2b is lost somewhere between turkey and Canada. Oh and I’m waiting to figure out my belts.
I might become number 4

1 Like

I believe @pjotr47 told them to not sell them yet because of bugs…

1 Like

If vescs where easy to build every one would be doing it.

The problem is that almost everyone is doing it and most are failing miserably.

2 Likes

So what are the best tested vescs

Available right now?
Only the Trampa VESC and depending on who you ask the Unity.

By the feedbacks Trampa Vesc for sure. Vedder is behind them and apparently him alone can do magic :grin:
Personally I am using 2 unites and so far they treat me well but for sure don’t have the 160A set up to push them close to the thermal throttle. That makes a huge difference.

2 Likes

Right now the best tested “vesc” are Axiom. These ones don’t fail. However reason why nobody here uses them : huge size and price.

Second the FOCers from @shaman are honest legit designed HW side. Not widely available yet but affordable and from a guy who knows his shit.

In between, A200S VESC. Still big and pricy.

After these guys, Trampa VESCs and the old good Escapes, then some versions of FOCBOX apparently as long as CANBUS nor 13s was not involved.

New fighter in the game : Zesc non DRV based.
Lost fighter with low reported QC but apparently works correct for who got them : NeoBoxes.

After that : Flipsky. My 2 cents ofc.

Most DRV based VESC are usually run way too close to their limits too.

And there can be many other sources of issues related to the ever experimental evolving software. Of course all the rest of the board can fuck up before the ESC even has a chance to fail.

@MoeStooge sorry for your pal, wish him fast recovery.

9 Likes

Where would MakerX fit in your list? Personally I’d buy them over most of the options in here purely based on price

They’re better than flipsky, I haven’t had any issues with mine yet

4 Likes

@ShutterShock
If you tried something and it worked, what the reason to go towards another option that might not meet your expectations? Genuine question, I’ve only owned 3 different ESC’s (hobbywing, flipsky, Stormcore) and all worked mostly perfect so I never went esc shopping…till stormcore 60d was in front of me😂

2 Likes

Well there could be various reasons. Just because something works doesn’t mean it’s the best. For example, my TB 4.12’s work just fine, but when I upgraded to 4wd on that build, I got a MakerX DV4 because it’s tiny and it fit my needs.

Maybe you want to upgrade to be able to run more motor amps, maybe you want better FOC support, I don’t know really. I feel like this thread is most useful to like figure out what your next build’s ESC will be for rather than changing a setup that already works.

There’s a reason my old board with 2x focbox and FW 3.62 hasn’t been touched - it just works. The only thing I’ve done to it is change the wheels and batteries. Other than that, still going strong

5 Likes

We’ll be responsible for manufacturing defect. We don’t have much time to be here, just any issues, you can send mail to us.

I tested the Ubox with BLDC 6384 motor, 16s5P battery with loading. It can easily go up to 70A single channel. Due to limitation of the test battery and motors, the Ubox full potentiality has not been tested out yet. I’m super busy these days, when I have time, will drop a regenerative tested data in vesc tool here.
Here is some pics.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Sure take your time, you are starting a big thing :blush:
When ready just create a topic in the Vendors’ corner so you can explain all you are offering.
I see a potential BMS connection, 12V output and CANbus switch that are really intresting to know more about it and how to implement them in our boards.

1 Like

I will take a video to show the function with Ubox and explain the function without Ubox.
Just take some days later, you can check it in our web.

2 Likes

Thank you! I bought one already to test, I am looking forward to the delivery.

3 Likes

I think there won’t really be the need for a “king” in the next 2 years or so. Most 6.x based esc are pretty stable as they are on the average street build. On the higher end, the only question is how much are you willing to spend.

I do however see a rise in accessories and auxiliary controls being made available and compatible with vesc very soon.
If shredlights catches up and offers compatibility with the upcoming “headlight + horn controllers”, they’d probably win a large esk8 market that is too lazy to manually turn off 4 lights and charge. I see the functions offered out there, but i don’t see any horns, headlights, gps modules designed for our needs yet

3 Likes

How did you mount the camera on the rear of the board?