Who wants bigger urethane wheels?

I am thinking more like 120mm x 75mm. 85mm is really wide.

Regardless of the width, a change to the core is need to keep weight down and increase the surface area for the core to bind to the urethane. Come to think about it, I wonder how heavy the prototype TB130 was?

Of note, width is only one factor when it comes to grip. If you look at all the Boosted 105 style wheels, the actual contact patch is not that big but they all grip like nuts.

3 Likes

Durometers and urethane formulation plays a part too yeah, but the wider the contact patch the better your control over where you apply grip, if that makes sense. Like the grip the wheels have with the ground translates to forces in the direction you want.

1 Like

I didn’t even know they made these.
Ive been looking for a slighly bigger Abec wheel to get a bit more clearance on my gear drives. My top end is going to be screaming if i get these I’m on a 2:1 ratio now with my 107’s.

1 Like

What gear drive can you use with 107s? How much do those even clear the drive?

2 Likes

I have Idea’s gear drive that he made for the Evolve trucks. 20x40 tooth straight cut gears.
This is a older pic. Its still the same today except i dont have the light in the center and my wheels are chunked abit.

4 Likes

Neat, I never knew a gear drive existed for evolve trucks.

1 Like

They’re nice drives but the 2:1 ratio kinda sucked for me.

Just came to say that urethane and wider CP are not the answer.

These radium wheels are 120 x 65. CP is only 55, they are the best wheels i’ve ever ridden. By a LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way

8 Likes

Never knew Radium made wheels!

Link?

Can’t seem to find any wheels on their site, you sure these are Radium?

They’re prototypes. You can’t get them

3 Likes

How’s the grip and free roll? They’re foam core right?

Grip is phenomenal, can’t comment on free roll because i’m running stupid tight belts and idlers. But they soak up the road like nobody’s business, responsive as fuck and the efficiency hit isn’t all too bad. I average about 21wh/km on 111s, getting bout 26wh/km on these. Totally worth it.

3 Likes

How far along will these be available? These would be good for my belted board. At least i can change the gear ratio on that board.

1 Like

If i had to guess, i would say 84 years.

3 Likes

I guess I wont see them in my lifetime. At my age I’m happy to still be riding.

1 Like
1 Like

Agree. Likewise, grip is only one factor when it comes to width.

Width does other magical things, like allow you to sail right over some railroad tracks on Venom Magnum 78mm wheels. This is solely because they’re 70mm wide… … but that’s wide enough to almost bridge this gap if you hit it at a small angle:

to scale, as much as possible, for common track ASCE 6040 60AS

And other holes and road imperfections can similarly be sailed over with wider wheels, because the wheel doesn’t fall down into the imperfection as much.

4 Likes

Don’t encourage him to rip off momentum boards hollow wheel please. Doug worked way to hard to have that done to him.

2 Likes

900g? Holy crap! That’s more than 2 MAD wheelz!

1 Like

I always wondered why most cores don’t have a better “lock” with the urethane. I guess it’s because traditional downhill riding doesn’t put much rotational torque on the core… mostly sideways loading instead.

For a dedicated esk8 wheel, I wonder if adding something like this to the core

Would prevent this type of failure

TB110_delam

8 Likes