Who wants bigger urethane wheels?

I’m thinking for road riding, 8mm is enough for most. What do you guys think? Better to optimize the wheel to work with 10mm axles or stick with 8mm axles?

2 Likes

I think this is doable. That could have some serious grip!

I’d argue 10mm, most trucks wide enough to accept large wheels without bite would be 10mm, rather than 8mm. Plus you can always shim down, but you can’t size up.

If you could do 12mm that would be even better, there’s a pretty sizeable population of channel truck runners who want to run thane (can you imagine Lonestar battery but with thane efficiency?), and the current solution of 12x22mm bearings really doesn’t work out. And again you can always shim a thinner axle or smaller bearing.

6 Likes

The TB130 actually make cheese grater streets melt. I feel like it should be at least 125mm or more.

But wide af is super important

8 Likes

The catch is 10mm bearings for 22mm seats will wear far faster than their 8mm counterparts, and the 28mm seat excludes the Kegel hole pattern

4 Likes

Wtf does this exist? I thought this was a joke.

Is there a 28x12x8mm bearing?

125mm or more could be possible. Would have to take great efforts to avoid making them too heavy.

1 Like

I think it never got past the prototype phase.

1 Like

Dang so the kegel hole pattern doesn’t work with 28 mm bearings?

until someone start dropping curbs with them :joy:

i’d say using a 28mm bearing seat would work great, since
6001 bearing is 12ID28OD (8mmW)
and
638 bearing is 8ID28OD (9mmW)

but 10mm axle u don’t have much choice except have the bearing seat at 26 or 30mm (exclude 22mm because its shit)

yes, 6001 is 28x12x8

1 Like

So with a 28mm OD, you can find bearings that will fit 12, 10 and 8mm axles. That’s pretty good!

2 Likes

For 8mm, another option would be to use a spacer and put in a typical 22mm bearing.

YES

1 Like

I think @RipTideSports was working on something similar in this thread, but an affordable variant for the rest of us mere mortals was a way off iirc:

3 Likes

Not sure if you still need more Yessses, but YES PLEASE!

1 Like

130 x 8 cp and fit 10mm and are more squishy/comfy than normal thanes. I will buy.

I don’t think there is 10ID28OD bearing

Infinityhub tried that method, some people are having tolerances issue iirc

1 Like

There is, 16100 is 28OD10ID

https://www.skf.com/de/products/rolling-bearings/ball-bearings/deep-groove-ball-bearings/productid-16100

All Tanuki Wheels use a 28OD8W spacing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

just do standard 8mm axle bearings. We are so niche compared to the rest of the skate industry that if you don’t do this and also sell these wheels to non-esk8 builders you may not have enough viability.

6 Likes