Who wants bigger urethane wheels?

How’s the grip and free roll? They’re foam core right?

Grip is phenomenal, can’t comment on free roll because i’m running stupid tight belts and idlers. But they soak up the road like nobody’s business, responsive as fuck and the efficiency hit isn’t all too bad. I average about 21wh/km on 111s, getting bout 26wh/km on these. Totally worth it.

3 Likes

How far along will these be available? These would be good for my belted board. At least i can change the gear ratio on that board.

1 Like

If i had to guess, i would say 84 years.

3 Likes

I guess I wont see them in my lifetime. At my age I’m happy to still be riding.

1 Like
1 Like

Agree. Likewise, grip is only one factor when it comes to width.

Width does other magical things, like allow you to sail right over some railroad tracks on Venom Magnum 78mm wheels. This is solely because they’re 70mm wide… … but that’s wide enough to almost bridge this gap if you hit it at a small angle:

to scale, as much as possible, for common track ASCE 6040 60AS

And other holes and road imperfections can similarly be sailed over with wider wheels, because the wheel doesn’t fall down into the imperfection as much.

4 Likes

Don’t encourage him to rip off momentum boards hollow wheel please. Doug worked way to hard to have that done to him.

2 Likes

900g? Holy crap! That’s more than 2 MAD wheelz!

1 Like

I always wondered why most cores don’t have a better “lock” with the urethane. I guess it’s because traditional downhill riding doesn’t put much rotational torque on the core… mostly sideways loading instead.

For a dedicated esk8 wheel, I wonder if adding something like this to the core

Would prevent this type of failure

TB110_delam

8 Likes

Idk how you’re getting that out of what I said, I’m not proposing anything like hollow wheels.

I also own a set of those hollow wheels, the pro version. I support Doug’s journey and think they’re a great wheel.

1 Like

Wait are cores actually smooth on the outside?

I expected T-shaped anchors into the urethane to mechanically lock them together instead of solely relying on a chemical bond.

Not smooth but ribbed I think

1 Like

The abec cores already have something that performs this function, but is designed differently than that sketch.

Yes, kegel (Orangatang, TB, etc) cores don’t have a raceway and it’s why they can spin out.

No, abec (ABEC11, Zoobomb, etc) cores have a raceway around them, and would have to dismember the wheel from the inside to spin out.

I couldn’t find a photo of the ABEC11 core, but this scooter wheel has a similar raceway around the core as the abec cores have.

5abc599e147b59e2b271babe4dd37e0c--kids-scooter-scooters

9 Likes

So this is why abec has something over Kegel… Huh

…WTF sk8 industry wtf r u doing

Well the abec cores have thin and tiny spokes that seem really weak, thin bearing seats, and funky shaped holes, so each core has pros and cons. Round holes (like in the kegel core) are easy to drill, easy to CAD, and easy to fill with bolts or pins. And the bearing seats on kegel are nice and THICC. The abec spoke hole shape doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for esk8, maybe for downhill longboarding. But yeah the raceway on the outside of the abec core is dope.

Neither of these longboard wheel cores seem designed for esk8 use first and foremost.

3 Likes

You’d think something like the TB110 would though, standardization only makes sense when it… Makes sense to do it that way.

1 Like

Whether a core is kegel or ABEC is not that big of an issue. The mechanical locking of the urethane is the key to preventing delamination and is not hard to do. Just need a good core design (Not the TB110).

I want to make the core bigger for three reasons.

Cost
Weight
Contact area between core/urethane

The cost of urethane is getting really high. The more plastic that is used, the cheaper the overall cost of the wheel will be.
Urethane is heavy as hell. 900g like the TB130 is just waaaay to heavy. The right amount of urethane to allow for grip and cushion is all you need. Trampa really missed the boat on this one.
A larger core will result in way more contact area between the core and urethane. As long as the design allows for mechanical locking of the urethane, you should not have serious issues with delaminating.

4 Likes

I agree. All cores should just be Kegel with anchors or a raceway. Do away with abec.

Kegel mating pins don’t leave enough room for bigger bearings. As much as I like standards, we probably need a new core. Abec and kegel styles both have serious issues. Also one that’s licensed in a way that anyone may use it. And is designed for torque transfer.

7 Likes