Who is using Akhlut's surfrodz axles? (Axle issues)

Mine are a completely different material, much stronger. I am not worried

9 Likes

I bet your crossbar stabalizers help take a lot of load off the axles on your setup, probably will be a non-issue for you

2 Likes

I would consider that a serious contributing factor to the axle failing

2 Likes

38mogo

8 Likes

I have no idea lol. I didnt go to school long enough to form an educated hypothesis that’s why I’m here haha :sob: :sob:. Although it did happen to both sides and was fixed before I did any sorta heavy riding. @Saturn_Corp had the same issue but we both fixed it.

Let me elaborate more on that bit.

So like essentially the way the axle gets held in, is it threads into the hanger normally but to secure it from rotating out the index ring prevents that. As it is shimmed to the correct thickness of the hanger than bolted through the integrated plate. The index ring was on pretty good but not 100% death grip I first installed it I guess. It had no play with no mounts. Once the motor’s mounts were on at the motor side it had I’d say like legit 1-2 degrees of play as it was limited to the amount of play the index ring had but the index ring also prevented it from rotating further than the play if that makes sense.

4 Likes

Yep these. They were a super clean solution that allow you to run any size surfrodz hanger. I was running 176mm rkp’s and 6380’s with tons of room.

Ah dude I am so sorry.

1 Like

I wonder if securing the axle to the motor mount so they won’t rotate prevented them from being preloaded properly, hence suffering too much fatigue.

Other though is about the material, might be not to spec?

1 Like

I think they were made with Nickel-plated C45 steel.

Well there’s the problem then, probably half the strength of the boardnamics axles.
You could try and drill The axle and use an easy out, if it’s only c-45 it may not be too difficult, May need some heat to break down any locktite too

2 Likes

Depending how much of the axle is sticking out of the hangar, you could probably dremel a slot for a flathead screwdriver providing you didnt put 638 loctite or anything on the threads.

2 Likes

17-4 PH is primo

C45 are you sure @ThermalChild?

3 Likes

idk, im going by what was posted here.

Front Axle Design Specs:

• OAL: 128mm
  • 15mm of M8x1.25 to thread into the SR helicoil
  • 44mm of shaft length inside the hanger
  • 41mm spacer with integrated 12.6mm nut (1/2" or 13mm wrench)
  • 32mm of axle for wheel
  • 11mm of M10x1.0 for very fine thread locknut

Manufacturing Info:

• Full CNC
  • Nickel-plated C45 steel
1 Like

I have no idea if it is C45 or not @mmaner might know maybe?

1 Like

Tbh, I’m just gonna switch to Kev’s 270’s. The 176’s can’t be used as I need these axles to make the 6380’s fit. I might find a use for them sooner or later.

3 Likes

fair I didnt see these updates

1 Like

I don’t. I’ll see if I can get ahold of Matt and ask.

3 Likes

This definitely wasn’t good. Agreed.

Actually given that the axle is attached to the motor mount, they could be adding to this failure a lot.

The axle already is essentially being levered at the end of the hanger by the wheel and weight of the rider. Add all the impacts of riding. Then add rotational stresses every time you accelerate or brake. All of those forces are also being applied there.
Theoretically, the clamp on the hanger that bolts to the plate on the axle should eliminate this, but with most people adding nickel strips as shims (we did that too), there is definitely some cycling there. Add the motor mounts knocking back and forth a bit when loose.

Material of choice: maybe
Motor mounts on the axle and perhaps mediocre ability to lock them to the hanger: likely.

5 Likes

I have a feeling I know who’s place he’s coming to to try and retrieve it. Looks to be snapped flush or just recessed from flush.
I have some cobalt bits at home and extractors I’m gonna try. Could see if a friend could get In there with a tig and put a small hardened steel nut on it and we should be able to back it out

2 Likes

If your axles were bent, the cone would be the other way around.