Who is using Akhlut's surfrodz axles? (Axle issues)

First of all R.I.P my hummie that I just got back up and running after a blown drv.

Ok not sure if right category but since nobody has been able to get a hold of @akhlut. I wanted to check and see who is riding these axles. I just encountered a major failure on my setup and think those who are riding them should be aware of this.

The axle snapped directly at end of the hanger. Directly behind the integrated mounting plate. Now I have a broken off axle stuck in my hanger lol.

Idk how many sets were made but if you’re using a set you might wanna be careful. I weight 130. Shit snapped while crossing some trolley tracks at like 4-5mph, just walked off, I’m super lucky as I wasn’t wearing any of my pads just helmet and slide gloves. Was making a beer run. Never got beer, 0/10 should of stayed home and smoked. Instead I dragged this awkwardly heavy bitch half a mile home.

Setup was 176mm rodz, @akhlut axles, @Boardnamics pulleys, @moon plates, dual TB 6380’s.

Questions I have are, has this happend to anyone else? I know I mentioned a few quirks I had encountered to @Saturn_Corp but that’s all I know who rode them.

14 Likes

Crazy that it sheared there. Assuming the metal they’re made of isn’t the issue, I’m concerned they’re just too long and that created the fatigue there

4 Likes

Oh no! Glad you weren’t zooming with the beers in hand

5 Likes

Oof, I’ll keep a look out. Been riding them hard so we’ll see. They’re quite long, perhaps that leverage contributed.

2 Likes

Ooof, lol.
Glad you landed it and came back with a cool story (even if there was no beer):beer:

8 Likes

I haven’t had these running that long either. They sat around for awhile.
@bwahl602 how long ago was it we had this thing rolling with these like late june-early july? I def put a lot of miles on my board but uh yeah wasn’t expecting this to happen to 10mm axles.

Found the specs of these, It snapped exactly at the end of the hanger.

OAL: 128mm
15mm of M8x1.25 to thread into the SR helicoil
44mm of shaft length inside the hanger
Mounting plate is 6mm thick and 55mm in diameter
(12) M4 mounting holes, 23mm radius (LR-designs/moon compatible)
6mm mount spacer with integrated 25mm nut (1" or 25mm wrench)
61mm of axle for wheel and pulley
11mm of M10x1.0 for very fine thread locknut

Not sure if this means anything. The wood is completely flat on this side touching the wheels

Front wheels are completely level and in line

5 Likes

Not sure, I’d check but uh…

The front ones are thick as hell. I doubt they’d have an issue.

1 Like

I’m using normal shoulder bolts in the front. Just pointing out the back ones are different

1 Like

I’d check that to see if it’s bent

1 Like

Oh gotcha, the front ones were pretty beefy though.

The back ones failed I guess with the combined forces of the motor, the road (albeit pretty smooth Philly streets) and whatever they’re made out of maybe idk.

1 Like

Yeah that’s probably not great… might need to tear it down for inspection.

Well shit, this is scary. Here is a pic of mine. 150lbs riding weight and no sign of bending with SR 150mm RKP hangers.

@ThermalChild @Saturn_Corp did you guys install a spacer to get the axle base to sit flush against the square end of the hanger? I’m curious to know if this could be a factor.

This is how I installed mine:

2 Likes

Negative, I figured by doing that you push the index ring further from the mounting plate. Me and @Saturn_Corp actually had an issue with the shims on the index ring not sitting the index ring super tight, which caused the whole motor plate to rock a few degrees.

2 Likes

Yes I have 3mm of spacer in between each. Could be

5mm gave me too much play in the mount when it got loose. 3 seems to keep the collar tight.

2 Likes

I’ve heard nothing about those spacers tbh. Mine threaded all the way in fine and with the correct size shim installed on the index ring it was solid.

1 Like

I’m not saying that this is the correct way to install the axles. It’s just what I had to do since i couldn’t thread them in all the way.

Threading them in all the way was the recommended way to install them.

2 Likes

Me and monster are using 150mm hangers, not 175 or 200. I don’t think the axles thread as far in on those.

Might make it more prone to bend or break.

4 Likes

Yeah man no idea. They threaded in EZ for me. Never was an issue which is odd you guys had that. Guess that might be something with the 150’s? Just with putting spacers on I’d think that makes it so the index ring has less area to hold no? Also that puts more axle outside than inside the hanger too. Which seems kinda scary considering how long those axles are already.

Like I said I have absolutely no idea. I just don’t want anyone else to fuck themselves up is all haha. That shit could have been worse. I could have been carrying beer lol.

4 Likes

Is that the one that puts all/most of the power down through the axles? @hummieee might know a thing or two about that

2 Likes