Wheelie/Manual mode for a skateboard

Wheelying into the bar would be more my style… many impressed patrons, much free beer

8 Likes

Any reason why this wouldn’t work on 4WD? Powered nose manual would shut up those ‘do a kickflip kids’ with style :wink:

7 Likes

wow amazing!
You essentially made a onewheel with rwd esk8!
Props for pulling it off :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would work on 4WD just fine, if you front has some kind of “kicktail”. The whole setup gets heavier (2 extra motors and 2 controllers) but totally doable

4 Likes

Alex
Could you provide a qwik… “For Dummys like @Tamatoa and @kook” primer of which files to upload into your hardware?

'puters are not one of my many gifts…haha

2 Likes

That would be great.

2 Likes

was just wondering what todo with my old overland deck this year :rofl:

7 Likes

I have been wondering for a while if you could do this using the new balance app in the vesc tool. It would be a great idea to be able to use the balance app alongside a normal control mode such that a button or footpad would allow switching between standard and balance control.

Seems no way to set the vesc up like this at the moment, you only get one or the other.

It could be useful on a mountian board to active if you stand the board up allowing if it balance like a Segway And allow easy transport similar to an euc.

8 Likes

Or roll the wheel backwards on the Mini Remote to activate balance/manual/onewheel/wheelie/EUC mode

One thing the @Trampa VESC has been missing for a long time is a second PWM (“PPM”) channel

Could be used for reverse, too. Or “handbrake” where it holds position on a steep incline

6 Likes

I’ll try to post a short instruction in in a couple of days.

I know someone who is working to port this mode into VESC app, not sure how soon he can finish it though.

Let me know if you would rather wait for him to port it to vesc app

6 Likes

It would be interesting to see the first prebuilt board that includes this feature or something much like it.

1 Like

thanks… I’d really like the set-up you have right now! We can address the port to VESC code if and when it happens!!!

thanks brother!!!

2 Likes

So much awesome. Thanks for sharing this. I literally had this idea 2 days ago and poof it had already happened.

2 Likes

Pure & heavenly Ti white sparks for the kook connoisseur, leave those nasty yellow steel sparks for el paleto :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Usually how it happens dude, some fucking genius somewhere has the same idea at the same time, and you’re first loser.

3 Likes

Thats cute…

4 Likes

In this case I’m stoked to see it. I was unlikely to actually execute on the idea.

2 Likes

I added an instruction to my github repo. The setup is fairly advanced, you might want to wait for vesc app instead.

If you want to proceed, please be very careful. Make sure to test it in controlled environment, to make sure you don’t crash, skate does not run away and stuff like that. I can’t guarantee everything will go for you as smooth as it was for me.
I also suggest limiting the current and ERPM in vesc for the initial test to 10 Amp. It won’t keep you balanced at 10A but you would get the idea, then crank it up.

4 Likes

thanks buddy!

some quik questions if you don’t mind…

it looks like here:
APP: USART

VESC1:

• 5v -> STM32F401CCU6 5v
  • GND -> GND
  • RX -> PA9
  • TX -> PA10

VESC2:

• 5v not connected
  • GND -> GND
  • RX -> PA2
  • TX -> PA3

you’re connecting to both VESC UART ports, I would guess you don’t use CANBUS, is that correct?

and the files here:
Use STLINK V2 Use the file attached in releases [hex](https://github.com/blezalex/balance_skate/releases/download/1/skate.hex) and upload it via STM32CubeProg

Skate.hex is a dead link… 404 error

and here:

Use attached (releases) APP [apk](https://github.com/blezalex/balance_skate/releases/download/1/SkateConfig.apk). Here is my setting file

SkateConfig.apk is a dead link… 404 error

Thanks for putting this together!!

3 Likes

Fixed links on github. They are supposed to be

https://github.com/blezalex/balance_skate/releases/download/alpha/skate.hex
(https://github.com/blezalex/balance_skate/releases/download/alpha/SkateConfig.apk

Turns out that renaming a release invalidates the link.

I’m not using the CANBUS. I should, but I did not not have a canbus capable boards handy.
Not using CANBUS is a risk, there is a chance of frying controller. I limited my motor current to 40 amp and use short wires powering VESCs.

2 Likes