Wheelie/Manual mode for a skateboard

what would you think about it being able to “stand up” using acceleration and enable self balancing at the correct time?

or is there another way you would do it?

Pegs??

I’m planning on a breakout board with it’s own IMU that will send signal to the board based on IT’S balance function, or send signal to the vesc based on trigger position
either or

all the VESC has to do is interpret the throttle signal

I’f someone wants to write the code to do that I’m all ears… I haven’t coded in C in years

1 Like

Yes yes yes :+1:

No, this can probably be an all-software fix.

I think if you connect the second servo (PWM, “PPM”) channel to the ADC1 pin on the VESC6 then you can probably do the switch in firmware

aka:
hold channel 2 and if you’re below XX speed then enter wheelie mode, exit normal mode

And you could connect trigger to channel 1 and thumbwheel to channel 2 if you’re a trigger guy

Or you could connect thumbwheel to channel 2 and trigger to channel 1 if you’re a thumb guy, and the trigger would activate wheelie mode instead, if below XX speed

2 Likes

Make the remote and others will probably help :smiley:

I know I’ll probably take a whack at it

2 Likes

I’d love a firmware solution… but as I said above I haven’t coded in C in way too long… then to do all the work in VESC programming, I’m afraid this is WAY above my paygrade… a hardware solution seems easy enuff to do and test, cheaply

elegant, NO
do-able I think YES

3 Likes

Calling over @RomainOnWheels since he got this working on his build.

I think a separate board powered by 5v (or whatever most Vescs output) with an IMU and PPM out would be dope. I’d pay over $100 for this.

Also, check out his thread

PS: Do you think hall sensors have enough resolution for this to work well? I’m only asking because he used encoders.

2 Likes

yes, think funwheel.

Isn’t what you want just a microcontroller?
Like a teensey, I wonder if they sell any with onboard IMU. Oh maybe for drone stuff!

I can’t program for shit is the problem lol

1 Like

Would you make the hardware yourself and pay someone $100 for the code?

1 Like

How could I have missed this thread?

I also think a simple microcontroller board would do the job. Typically, the Arduino Nano 33 IOT is very small, cheap and has an integrated IMU. The programming should not be too hard. It even has Bluetooth so you could make an app to tune the regulator PID gains directly from your phone!

The Hall sensors are definitely enough, because you are using current (~torque) control for the stabilization, not position control. The controller doesn’t even need to know the rotation of the wheels, it just computes the motor current depending on the board pitch angle.

3 Likes

Thanks for finding it for me! “microcontroller with gyro imu” did not bring good stuff up on google.
Bluetooth for adjustments seems like a must!

Great explanation on the current control.
lol at your profile pic as well

1 Like

You could make some money selling these on here.

1 Like

Sounds like your setup needs a PID for yaw stabilization, as well as differential steering based on the roll angle. Controllers compatible with the VESC Tool already support all this :wink:, alex’s code does as well :metal:

3 Likes

I was riding an exway wave and piped a wheelie while riding due to how small the bloody thing is. Instantly reminded me of this thread.

…because of the awesome code contributions from @NuRxG himself

Thank you.

1 Like

avOA8dq_460s

5 Likes

SO.
To sum this thread of potential awesomesauce.
What are the viable options for poppin an auto wheelie?

1. external module with someones wheelie code + misc?
  2. A VESC with built in IMU + extra fancy code + external source of wheelie trigger?

Is there a “how-to” somewhere or something? I wanna make this happen on atleast one board :smiley:

2 Likes

Someone would need to write some code to turn the ADC3 pin into a second SERVO / “PPM” channel. And then the balance app could incorporate that as a trigger, in lieu of footswitches.

So for example with a Mini Remote you could turn the thumbwheel and hold it, and whenever the board leans back, it’d hold it there like a balance vehicle … until you let go of the thumbwheel

Of course there are other ways it could happen, but that’s the most logical to me

1 Like

You can use an intenral or external imu

No coding required

Use mobile app to change “App to use” setting to balance, pop your wheelie, change it back to ppm, and ride into the sunset.

2 Likes

Hm, I do have some bluetooth modules laying around somewhere, Havnt used the vesc app in a good while.

I went into the “balance app” in vesctool(PC) and I have no clue what parameters does what, I might be overcomplicating things, but a setup manual/instruction video of some brief explaining would prob do it for me. Maybe there is one already that I’m unaware of?

1 Like