Wheel lock 1 motor in Backfire Hammer-Sledge 4wd. Please Help

Maybe riding it with the 4wd when it was used to being a 2wd for months led to this

bro if it’s not long enough just unscrew it off the motor mount and hold the wire by hand, try to plug the side with issues with another motor and do the same with the ESC. This will tell you which part of your system is damaged and then you can contact backfire for a replacement, which is what you should be doing in the first place, not seeking “hacks” on this forum. The price premiere you’ve paid by getting a production board includes the service.

Oh ive emailed Backfire first thing. Their customer service is horrendous and the email format they use is torturous and they speak broken english

1 Like

The board doesn’t care about that

why am i not surprised

but still, this isn’t a hackable fix. there are parts that requires replacement, something the folks here on the forum can’t offer, all we could is share knowledge, we don’t have an obligation to replace anything related to esk8 that we haven’t built and sold, so if you could, carry out this operation

and then tell backfire which part is broken so they can ship you a replacement. Nothing else we could do here if you aren’t willing to even attempt at self-diagnosis

When i first got the board, the charger’s red light wouldnt come on, only the green light works on it. And then out of nowhere one day, the Halo remote just stops being able to turn on .

Almost like it’s cheap stuff

1 Like

Its just buggy, untested , rushed tech

1 Like

Im doing just that.

hammer S has backfire’s first gen inhouse developed ESC. I would rather trust hobbywing and lingyi over that. I’m not denying backfire’s ability to eventually push out a good ESC, I’m saying the mere fact that it’s a first gen product, worries me on how much testing it has gone through in real life conditions.

So if i were to plug the faulty motor into the other side and the same thing happens, what would be at fault? The ESC?

Inspect the connector, look for any deformations or signs of a burn (compare against a known good motor)

Swap the motor with a good motor, see if the problem is with the ESC or the motor

Ask Backfire for the associated part

Yea i intend to do that. If they ever reply …

If you swap the motor (just the motor) and the same wheel has the issue then it’s the ESC, if the other wheel has the issue it’s the motor

1 burnt out prong in the faulty motor

Either you ran the board without the connector seated and that caused it to arc and spark, or something melted (phase short inside the motor, or blown gate in the ESC)

Do the motor swap test and report back to us, also sniff around the motor and ESC for smoke

No smoke or overheating . What if i damage it further trying to test the cable (that clearly has some burn residue on one of the three prongs) on the other side?

I could see it being possible that the motor got overstressed because it was riding last night in the opposite direction than it had been going all these months.

Plug and unplug the connector a few times and it’ll scrape off most the soot on the spots that will carry current, not worried about it

Riding the motor backwards would certainly cause problems, but I feel like you would have noticed that