Wheel lock 1 motor in Backfire Hammer-Sledge 4wd. Please Help

Dunno anything about wheel lock but its whats happening. Prior to wheel locking up there was a beeping from the board , like a mellow tone hum . Perhaps the motor is going through some Auto-recalobration or something?

Can you spin the wheel by hand when it’s off? If so try to disassemble and clean all the mechanical parts to make sure it’s not jamming on a rock or busted bearing, if it persists then you should open the motor to look for shattered magnets

If it locks only under power, double check all the phase leads and sensors wires to make sure it’s not loose or broken, otherwise it’s gonna be expensive

Last test before buying anything would be to swap the motors to see if the problem is the motor or the ESC

What did you do just before it as it locked?

3 Likes

I was just pairing my other Backfire Halo remote that had full charge . And in the process of that, there was a mellow , synthetic music tone that hummed from the board and the affected motor started moving on its own and then just stayed locked up only while the board had power, and the cables were plugged in

I got it to work recently when i just connected the sensor cable like halfway. If i got all the way in with the connector the wheel locks up . But i keep it half way and now it works.

It has to be something glitchy with the BESC . The pairing.of a new remote triggered it. But then again, it was my first day installing the 4wd kit , i dont think one of the original motors braking up was unrelated. Backfire does kind of suck when it comes to out-of-the-blue shit not working properly.

I can spin the wheel when its not getting power.

It works normally when the cable is half to 3/4 plugged in . If i plug fully in the motor brake engages.

Maybe it has sometghing to do with the “motor poles” amount. I have it set at 6 .

The BLDC motors we use usually have 7 pole pairs, do you have the same configs across all motors?

It may be doing sensor detection on start up, try without the sensor entirely, or rebooting the board with the cable fully seated?

I’m not exactly sure what the phase leads look like but if 2 of the 3 phases are swapped then the motor will rotate the other way so if you have the sensor reading one way and the motor rotating the other way it will lock up, so try to flip some wires maybe?

Dont know how to flip wires. Remember , its Backfire , its fully sealed. Im not taking it apart.

I dont even know how to reboot board. Like just turn it off and back on? Done alot of that. Pairing the remotes multiple times.

The sensor motor cable plugged in halfway gets it to function normally.

Does it work if you unplug the sensor cable entirely?

And can you swap the left and right motor connectors? Make sure the sensors stay with the phase lead of the motor

See im such a noob (hence why im a production prebuilt board rider/consumer) that im not even know what a phase thingy is.

I cant swap the connectors , the cables all that long

It rolls fine /unlocks if i unplug the cable . Its only when i plug it in all the way is locks up. I have it working normally now with the sensor cable half-way in . Its basically fixed for now

If the cable is only half in then it’s not in, what’s happening is the sensors are giving the esc information that doesn’t match the motor, when you remove the sensors it goes to sensorless mode which is why it’s working

That’s a photo not a video on my end :person_shrugging:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtEzwsCvs4f/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Is there a single wire with 9 pins connecting the motor? (3 big 6 small)

Im not trying to unplug it again now that its working, but i think it was 3 big pins for sure, didnt notice multiple little ones but i may have missed it

But yes, single wire and 3 big pins as far as i recall

Unplugging it while the board is off is safe, but if there’s only 3 pins then you don’t have sensors and there’s a chance you’re shorting out the motor by plugging it in all the way which means you’ve done damage to either the motor or esc and are risking a fire by keeping it as is

By keeping it half way in could produce a fire? O shit

i think you have a short with two of the phase wires (the 3 big pins) when plugging all the way in. Contact their support staff

It’s unlikely, but possible

The only way to lock a motor is to either give it power to counteract any applied force, or to short out leads

If the leads are shorted and the ESC tries to push current it’ll overheat, the fact it only works with the connector part way in indicates a problem with the connector