Wheel Guard Ideas

Why did i never think of that
tenor-8

2 Likes

Great tip! Here’s what I have done. I found some adhesive rubber:

I cut a few strips and put them on the wheel guard both from the inside and outside and joined the overhanging parts together.

Works like a charm. :ok_hand:

10 Likes

nice! Was the extra piece on the side necessary? Water shouldn’t be exiting that way.

1 Like

Thanks!

I don’t know. I’ll do some science. I only have a single wheel guard for now. I wanted to check how much difference it makes. I can already see that my enclosure gets much more dirty on the side without the wheel guard so it clearly works.

I’ll print the other wheel guard next week and keep it without the rubber on the side and see if that makes any difference.

1 Like

I was also thinking about 3D printing a part that would be joined to the low side of the wheel guard with a hinge and would move in case you hit an obstacle.

I slightly modified my clamp design. Besides putting the grub screw opening to the correct face :sweat_smile: … I also made the mounting holes such that the wheel guard angle can be adjusted. It seems to work pretty well.

Of course it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t mess something up. :sweat_smile:

I wanted to put these two bolts further apart so that it’s easier to tighten/loosen them. It was difficult to get wrench access to the nuts on the other side.

I made this part longer to create space for moving the bolt.

… but then I forgot to actually move the hole. :laughing:

That’s just my standard way of doing DIY.

Anyway, it still works. I may re-print at some point.

7 Likes

That looks amazing! I wonder if these will fit the more squared profile of the generic 6x2 tires. Wouldn’t be hard to chamfer/square the covers more I’d imagine if they didn’t work.

3 Likes

Thanks. Just to be clear, I only made the clamp. The wheel guard is @mishrasubhransu’s design. And yes, I think it should fit 6x2 tyres just fine. I believe the guards are made for 6.5" Trampas. I’m running them with Metroboard tyres that are 155x50mm – pretty close to 6x2 inch.

4 Likes

I first made them for the generic 6x2 tires. There are different ones in thingiverse.

2 Likes

Taking @janpom lead, I also printed @mishrasubhransu great design to get me board ready for wet and snowy weather. I made the clamps to fit BN hangers. I tried the 6x2 mud guard first, but it was too tight for my comfort, so I am now using the 165x46 stl am really happy with the fit.

4 Likes

Nice! It seems the rear part of the guard is a bit too low though. Have you done any riding yet? My first version was similar to what you have. I tried riding the front wheel over my hand and the guard would always hit the hand.

1 Like

No riding yet, just test fit and thought that was a good distance from the ground. So I won’t be surprised if I need to adjust the height.

My other problem is wheel bite with the BN 220s with this deck and these wheels, so I’m waiting on the 270s which are in the mail to hopefully fix that. In the meantime I need to figure out how to mount the rear mud guards.

Rainy day today to test the splash guard. Things were going well until I distracted myself putting my phone away on slippery surface. Board shot out and before I could apply the brake, it slammed into a rock. Good news is the TPU bumper guard saved the board, the pla splash guard didn’t fair so well (no surprises there though).

1 Like

Looks nice wonder if anybody knows where dickios pulley wheel guards are I’m sure I’ve seen some somewhere
Thank you

I already got a small crack on mine as well. I think I’ll use TPU for my next print.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

1 Like

The only dickyho guards I’ve seen are for motor pulleys.

That’s probably what I saw will search for them thanks

I think TPU is too soft. Is should work well with PETG, pla+ and of course Nylon (no need for alloy 910, just regular cheaper ones will do)

1 Like

I’ll try to remix the design into a DD wheelguard soon and I’ll use a 58D TPU for it since it can be used for higher temperature applications :slight_smile: