Wheel comparison thread!

Waiting for more people to try Venom Mach1s @Skunk :wink:

8 Likes

There are no 97mm Superfly wheels, to my knowledge. Are you sure they aren’t Refly?

1 Like

isnt this what they use on that leiftech snowboard. lmao

3 Likes

SF Poop is the place to be… San Francisco has ‘Poop Patrol’.

2 Likes

Too soft and big is subjective to be fair wingy

2 Likes

If someone could talk about the torque board crystal blues that would be lovely

Need pulleys

7 Likes

Worst to best:

Rough stuff wheels, these must be molded from plastic, zero absorbtion and slippery as hell. Did felt good on a loose gravel roads, but besides that really not recommended for your own safety.

China 80mm ones, good wheels for the price, fairly hard duro and the cores started splitting a bit, but if you need something here and now for cheap, they are not too bad.

Eskating 97mm wheels, these are absolutely great, I cannot believe how soft they are, great absorbtion, all around good size and the roll pretty well too, I use them on my push board.

Trampa Gummies are the wheels I’m using right now, for me the best thing with them is better clearances and more terrain capabilities. Now I rarely have to get off my board. Ok, so they are a bit hard and don’t have the best absorbtion ever, but they do the job, I eventually will go with pneumatics. One thing that I really don’t like with them is a fairly sharp inside edge, if you ride faster on a sidewalk made from tiles going in the same direction as you are, and if some of the tiles stick out just a tiny bit, you can get what I call a train rail effect there the wheel catches an edge if you turn and instead of going over the tile, keeps going straight by the edge, had a few really serious back end kickouts because of this.

5 Likes

what does everybody think of these all terrian wheels?

I used mine for about 1000km, they are ok after shaving them but it’s worth getting better wheels, would give the mbs 6/10. Bought the new evolve gtr 97mm and it’s night and day, so much smoother and so much more grippy. I can ride 15km/hour faster with the same confidence and much better feel, would give the evolve 10/10.

2 Likes

nice to know thanks

Can we also talk about pneumatics in here?

I’ve been riding a set of 8" Trampa Primo Alphas and they’re fabulous. Great both on street and off, but they are fairly heavy and wobble a tad without any changes. No durability issues yet but I haven’t gone ham on them yet, just normal cruising and some offroading on dirt, grass and gravel. Rocks have not been a problem but damn spiky plant seeds are a problem.

1 Like

For me I have only ridden two kinds of wheels on my main board.

Torqueboards 83mm Abec Clone:
Overall super durable wheel, never cracked and barely showed any signs of wear. They are a bit hard overall and their small size makes bumps pretty rough. They are great starter wheels. Pretty slippery when wet. Both drive wheels ended up cracking one of the pillars a little bit which didn’t really affect anything at all since I had 6 screws in, but they made weird noises after that happened at slow speeds.

ABEC 11 90mm ReFly.
These are the black ABEC wheels and I absolutely love them. I managed to get them for a pretty good price on Ebay brand new. They ride like clouds and glide over most of the bumps in the road. They have some minor signs of cracking around the edges but no chunking yet. They surprisingly keep their grip quite well on wet asphalt / concrete. The bearing wells have held up well and still fit nicely around the bearings without the weird crunchy sounds you get from some Chinese clones.

I’ve got some of those for sale, if you want them. Very very light use. $45 to Minnesota.

Since this is a comparison thread: I thought they were pretty good, but I jumped to 107 ABEC and prefer that for my build. For the price, these are pretty legit though. Here’s size comparison.

5c6159331cf96159e5363544b1730484885d91b2_2_375x500 76fb00d788f9fc5193bdee5cd90c80b7f8bfdcb0_2_666x500 14e42ab00283f9a32bb4f0420963ac719b19eeef_2_375x500

3 Likes

ill pass

2 Likes

Happy Friday!

Reviving this thread after half a year… any changes to your best to worst lists?

New wheels out since… (in no particular order)

Hyperdrive 100mm 74A
TB 110mm 74A
Boosted 105mm 72A
Cloudwheels 120mm 78A

I think most of the solid thane duros are dropping for Esk8ing

5 Likes

Tagging @b264 – I want to know what your wheel hierarchy is!

@CiscoV this guy hates the Boas as well. “Possibly the worst”. I’m trying to give the overlord Damon the benefit of the doubt, trying to understand why he loves them so much. Tried them today and they were smooth!

3 Likes

I think you gotta read between the lines with this review. The guy doesn’t seem to know much about the wheels at all, so must not have done research. He said in another video they were cheap Chinese thane, looks brittle and it will chunk which they clearly ain’t.

He also says in a few videos that he does personally not like large wheels, so thats going to be a mental block right from the get go. Not sure what Jedi skills he has been gifted with to be able to magically use 80mm wheels around such rough streets like he says.

100mm wheels weigh more than 80mm = dah
Reduces range = dah
Reduces torque but higher top speed = dah
Fart noises = err ok, what are you 5yo
Larger wheels cost more = dah
Higher top speed with 85mm = nah

“if you need wheels this big, you need to learn how to ride a skateboard better”
lol, what a comment, pitty that most esk8 folks actually opt for well over 80mm wheels

So make of that what you will, perhaps it was marketing to get views by going against what others say about the wheels. I think he did do a follow up video stating that they are not exactly bad wheels at all but just not suited to his riding preferences.

The youtube dude Sam and others in NYC ride a boosted with the Boas, and NYC has some gnarly streets.

15 Likes

Holy shit. I completely forgot about TRAMPA gummies. They’re like boa’s big bro. They look good but they suck! Haha

WTF. Damn brother. You need to get out There and try different shit. I think boas will be a great improvement over those tiny ass wheels you’ve been on

Personally I believe that people who love boas are the people who come from tiny ass “80,90 and 97mm” Chinese wheels. Great improvement over those for sure!! But to each their own. We all have different taste, different riding grounds and different people that influence us when it comes down to choosing the perfect product

At the end of the day. Boas can’t be that bad. Just have to have the perfect smooth roads for them and My roads are anything but that :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes