What should the vendor policy be now?

I was talking about this little doozy :expressionless:

There is for sure room for development in steering dampers, stuff is breaking out regularly like your contribution, thank you

For streetskate there are no commercial options afaik, but I found your post again, worth a topic by itself and you have the baton & experience :slight_smile:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/wenzani-mbs-core-16-mbs-matrix-trucks-10sxp-rest-is-still-unknown/82405/85?u=banjaxxed

1 Like

they are definitely quieter than the bioboards

5 Likes

The gear drives marcmt made include a sound chamber that quiets the noise dow. Still sounds fucking awesome IMO.

1 Like

@mmaner you have very first version of mini style gear drive its like 4 generations ahead of gear designā€¦

I think there was talk of one of these in Colorado, anyone handy nearby should look into it for charity & in case Jason surprise-showed that would generate a lot of moneyā€¦for the kids

Itā€™s reasonably respectful to both parties

1 Like

Wow this thread seriously derailed :rofl:

1 Like

Itā€™s for charity

1 Like

Of course it is. Its a primary drive. Its 2 cogs mated together to create a ratio. Futuristic.

Think the romans may have beat you to it by a couple of thousand years. Not to mention the Greeks. Where was leonardo from? Florence was it? Sure he was in on it too. Come to mention it Henry Ford did a pretty good job of gears.
No mate you have nailed it. Let me just quickly rewrite history for you and weā€™ll be all sweet. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. You can write whatever you like.

11 Likes

Daren just went full blade runner on your ass. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing.

Still a better love story than twilight

5 Likes

Damn this is toxic community more toxic than LoL oneā€¦

Here is how someone looks like after u read his messagesā€¦

2 Likes

Hey Will! Welcome to our toxic community.

Sounds like youā€™re going to fit right in LoL

5 Likes

I have the mini 3d servisas gear drive and it is still loud. But that is gears baby, love it or leave it. They all sound like a freight train compared to belts or hubs.

Sometime I love it, sometimes I wish it was quiter.

But the torque transfer and 0 belt slippage is undeniable.

Gear Drives arenā€™t THE solution for everyone on every buildā€¦ yet. I like mine, but I could see how some people wouldnā€™t prefer them. Maintenance is more of a bitch for simple things due to access and grease (I wish the case holes were on the outside instead of the inside, taking that cover off is an unnecessary time suck) . Also, setup isnā€™t as easy on belts. But man you really feel the power and look top notch.

There are definitely pros and cons which leave me pretty much split on what I prefer. I expected I would never be able to use a belt drive again, but that isnā€™t the case.

I have builds planned using more gears, more belts, hubs, and even a chain drive build possibly. All these babys have their own sweet spot, purpose, and best case usage.

9 Likes

I have been an advocate for gear for a couple of years now. I feel like the biggest deterrent is price. For most gear drive kits, a belt alternative can be had for half the price. Performance and price will almost always be the deciding factor in a purchase.

That being said, itā€™s like lipo vs li-ion. Li-ion lasts longer (charger cycles) but lipo has better power delivery (amps). To each his own desire, right?

@moon has overcome the price barrier and still makes a quality product. Making new options widely available is important, very important.

9 Likes

Well, its not that simpleā€¦ Yes its only 2 gears and gear ratio but there is a lot more you can ask @moon himself can tell :wink:

1 Like

I would love to see real price comparison looking into few years riding, because I know some people have done this and price was almost more expensive on higher power setups

No need to rewrite facts

Imagine if you will that straight cut gears were the norm now and had been for years. Someone came along today and said:

Iā€™ve got a new drive train that uses commonly available timing belts, allows quick swapping of any wheel on any ratio you want, is dead silent, extremely easy to maintain, requires no lubrication, is easy to diagnose when something goes wrong and spare parts can be carried with ease. Oh yeah, itā€™s also less than a third of the price at most.

I think weā€™d all be considering a swap here. Perception is an interesting thing.

12 Likes

This made me laugh and is an excellent point. We are builders, and we like the new kid on the block.

3 Likes

Great answer that. So true.

Again :rofl: so bloody true.

1 Like

Depends on the gears Tim.
My helical drive is quieter than belts.