What should I be looking for when buying a ESC/VESC

As the title says, i’m completely new to this stuff. The motor im planning to use is a 6364 200kv with a max load of around 65amps if that’s important. And the battery i’m planning on using is a 6c 4500mah 30c battery. I have no idea what to do with all this information when it comes to picking the right ESC/VESC that won’t break the bank. Thanks!

2 Likes

There is a calculator on the top that can help with some stuff.

In general, I would stay away from any “dual” ESCs even if running two motors.

The most general guideline on how much power an ESC can handle is its “battery max” current rating, so if an ESC is “50A” or something, that’s referring to this number. The 65A you refer to would be the “motor max” which is generally always higher than or equal to the battery max.

You also want one with good reviews.

Some ESCs require more assembly, like the Cheap FOCer and might be phsyically large, others like the Super mini Maker-X ESC are very small physically

Really it depends what you need.

Cheap, Fast, Good – you get to pick any two. “Fast” generally means it’s something you can buy and not manufacture yourself.

Also things like how much space you have make a big difference, and what country you’re in – your profile doesn’t say.

Also of note is the Flipsky Mini FSESC 4.20

5 Likes

What’s your budget? For me this number dictates a lot…for pretty much anything. Hence the Cheap FOCer.

3 Likes

I don’t want to pay more than 90-100 CAD, as I do not make much.

1 Like

The battery i’m looking at has a Cont discharge of around 90amps. Is that too high? And I’m from Canada

1 Like

no you can use it. its more the device (your vesc/motor) that says how much power it will draw. the battery would be able to draw the 90a if needed. The single Focbox is quite good for your purpose if you can still find one. Also Maytech has some vescs at their site. Also there is the cheap focer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Should be in your budget.

2 Likes

So this is a single motor build? Also what are you expecting from your build? Is it going to be for practical commuter purposes or are you trying to do something else?

Also 90a from the battery is plenty.

1 Like

I don’t want to pay more than 90-100 CAD, as I do not make much.

Single motor build, and all I want from the board is to go atleast 20-30km/h, or even just move lmfao, as I want this to be a learning experience. Hence the reason why I don’t want spend more than 90-100 on a vesc/esc

1 Like

Do I have to make the Cheap Focer or is there a way to buy it?

1 Like

For now you have to make it. You may be able to hire someone to make one for you. I do plan on a group buy for the Cheap FOCers but not until I get more data on reliability.

1 Like

I started out ordering a Unity but when the delivery date kept changing I cancelled the order. If you want to build something soon you need to pay attention to whether what you are ordering is in stock or not. I had everything else in house except for VESCs due to the Unity order. I wanted a replacement relatively quickly. A lot of VESCs are out of stock right now and that really limited my choices.

1 Like

Would a cheap ebay esc work?

It’d probably work okay for a few days at least.

1 Like

@b264 My meepo clone has been working for a few months now. Bought it in may.

They run fine if you take care of them, I’ve gone hundreds of miles on a 10s dual hub with one, but there is a degree of luck

One of the main drawbacks of the cheap eBay ESCs is the lack of flexibility - and that’s why vesc-based ESCs have so much market share in the esk8 community. You can tweak voltage, current and temperature cutoff settings, throttle curves, all kinds of stuff, which you really can’t do with ebay or RC ESCs.

3 Likes

I would go VESC - as a nOOb it’s really facilitated my learning about what all the electronics and data like ERPM and motor limits and all that jazz really are. Because you have to manually set it up. Which there are loads of guides for on the forum.

Get a flipsky 4.12 from ebay. Offer the buyer under price on 20 listings and one will accept :+1:t6:

1 Like

Then when 15 out of 20 accept you have no more money :rofl: