What places have banned eskates?

Turns out Newark Delaware is cracking down on all types of personal electric vehicles, up to a $1000 fine and 2 months of impounding for a repeat offense

What other locations should eskaters stay away from?

And what boards are indistinguishable from analogs for these locations?

9 Likes

Hong Kong, all electric device that can transport human is considered a vehicle, and all vehicle required to be registered, insured, taxed, as well as the driver having the correct driving license for it, so basically all PEV is illegal

“Driving an unlicensed vehicle is liable to a maximum fine of $5,000HKD and imprisonment for 3 months on first conviction.” - this is straight from gov.hk

Jaykay e-trucks :eyes:

12 Likes

Good god that’s a harsh first offense :sweat_smile:

Are JayKays still vaporware?

2 Likes

nope, sofu did a review on it: JayKay E-trucks Review - Tantalizing Future - Electric Skateboard HQ

3 Likes

Would the Exway X1 Hub count?

Germany sucks for eboards but I don’t care, I live in the country.

1 Like

No, but they have a long lead time afaik.

1 Like

Damn big brother always ruining people’s fun, I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before everyone feels a lil bit of this in some way.

4 Likes

The best solution is to support proper licencing and regulations for PEVs as well as bike lane infrastructure.

Yeah I get it nobody likes regulations, nobody wants PEVs to require licenses and usually people don’t like paying taxes for bike lanes.

But unless a government is comfortable with the above issues, they will only tolerate us at best and outright ban us at worst.

6 Likes

yeah that makes sense, i just like it now where i can just ride anywhere with out any issues where i live. i would not mind paying taxes for bike lanes if cars actually obeyed them (here).

1 Like

Fully segregated bike lanes are the bee’s knees for PEV riders that truly fear the dreaded driver.

Most of Australia’s got PEV’s banned over 250w. Some states have it legal, and where i am in NSW (which has a shitload of PEV’s), we’re suffering up to $2700aud fines.

We’re also hoping for a PEV legalisation trial layer this year.
But the idiots throwing lime scooters into the ocean in the city are ruining it for the rest of us

4 Likes

Question.

How would police identify you wearing a full face helmet and not stopping to get fined?

3 Likes

Denmarks rules are:

1. Your board is maximum allowed to BE ABLE TO reach 20km/hr. If your board tests above 20km/hr they might confiscate it (this rule SUCKS!)

2. Your board need reflexes in the front, back and on both sides (white/yellow in front and sides. Red in the back). You can also just choose to wear a full reflextive vest/jacket.

3. Helmet is required to be worn at all time (penalty is 1500DKK).

4. Lights has to be on at all time, even in daylight. Both front and back.

I think those 4 rules are the most critical. It also states that all boards has to be CE certified but i dont think thats an issue compared to thr above 4.

2 Likes

In a small-ish place? Because you will be the only one. They might not get you the first time, but you’ll probably be spotted from a mile away afterwards…

Spain is getting ridiculous, but we’re not getting full mandatory certification until 2027. At the moment:

• 25km/h max by design meaning not obvious to change for example in the remote.
  • Lights and/or reflective equipment between sundown and sunrise.
  • No sidewalks, only urban roads. Bike lanes depend on the particular town.

Some cities make helmet mandatory (at all times or in specific scenarios) and allow/disallow certain types of roads, even impose mandatory insurance or power limits (250W in one particular case). It’s a shitshow since rules have changed like three times in two years and every city can have specific regulations. Also police will stop EUCs, boards, big scooters and anything that is not a f*cking xiaomi scooter. Public perception of PEVs is terrible also due to rentals and drunk kids.

4 Likes

Just set up modes. It’s a flick of a finger to set a mode in metr. Once stopped. Set it to 20 kmph max. Noone will notice you doing it. :man_shrugging:

Other 3 rules are totay fine by me.

4 Likes

they shoot u down and arrest u if u r not dead, police here is rewarded for killing civilians

jokes aside (or is it?), our gov have shit ton of stake in public transport / oil company, as well as real estate that’s also public carpark. if people start to use our own PEV, given how much range we can get out of a tiny 30cells pack, they will lose money big time, millions of hkd per month probably

6 Likes

I would be totally fine with these rules. Just the speed could be a bit higher. Metr to the rescue.

2 Likes

The worst I’ve heard about here in Canada is that no ebike can be sold within the country that is able to go faster than 32km/h.

I’ve heard of some law that states all PEVs need to be pedal assisted and can’t be fully powered but I think that law is a myth. Had no evidence to support it and police have says they’ve never heard of it.

No laws even mention esk8 or any other PEV AFAIK. Ebikes are considered unpowered bicycles.

They are barricading the bike lanes and they have 3 or more cops so they box you in, and they take your ID and record it. There’s a SUV idling with them so I imagine if you don’t stop they will hunt you down

3 Likes