What is this Sound???

Helping a buddy. Anyone know what this sound is? The clicking sound. Do we need to recalibrate motors ? Or is something wrong here?

1 Like

Bad motor bearings? Sounds like grit got in somewhere where there should be very little friction. Did you let loctite seep into the motor?

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any in there. This was built by Ernesto. Nothing was opened.

Have the motors been used outdoors and if so how long? Could just be grit in a bearing, or a bad (broken) bearing in the motor.

Inside a motor the bearings are the only physical link between the rotor and the stator. Everything else has an air gap.

1 Like

Outdoors for maybe 3 months. Nothing crazy. Will keep troubleshooting.

2 Likes

don’t be afraid to take apart the motor. chances are the issue is in there and they’re not too hard to reassemble.

1 Like

Sounds like firmware issues

1 Like

That or ESC/phase connection issues. That’s a familiar sound on broken ESCs with bad mosfets or gate drivers.

You can try the usual config stuff:

• Make sure both motor detection results are more or less the same
  • Reset defaults and run the wizard again
  • Disable phase filters and try detection
1 Like

I second that. That doesn’t sound like mechanical friction to me either, so likely not grit. It sounds like the ESC is stuttering the motor.

3 Likes

Is it only on one side? If so swap the motors and see if the noise switches sides. Connect the left ESC to the right motor and the right ESC to the left motor temporarily.

2 Likes

As far as I know this is totally normal no load behavior on firmware 5.3. My esc even throws overcurrent faults when doing that, but when I’m actually riding it at 90% duty cycle this issue isn’t present. No load/bench behavior is gonna be strange at times.

I happen to have one belt off here and with one motor unloaded like that I also have some micro stutters. (It actually get slightly worse when I reduce the throttle a bit from full)

If it annoys you you can add 1A field weakening current and it will be smooth. But this loading scenario is not really realistic so I would not worry too much.

Demo… not sure if it can be seen

1 Like

Thank you! Will run detection and keep you guys posted. That should fix it right? @longhairedboy

possibly. As long as it’s not some kind of defect or damaged electronic component. definitely try running sensor and motor detections again, it’s always worth trying that.

1 Like

I have this on my new “BoardsofSweden” board too! Flipsky motors. Let us know what your findings/experiences are with the ESC trouble-shooting , i’ll be following this :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I’m gonna repeat this because it seems my message got lost in the sea of responses.

I’m 99% sure this is normal behavior. No load conditions are different from when you’re actually riding it. Every single board I’ve ever owned does this, but when riding at max duty cycle (90%) it’s perfectly smooth. These micro cogs are more prevalent on firmware 5.3 as well but they are nothing to be worried about.

2 Likes

When he rides the board the sounds gets extremely loud. Does not sound normal at all. The clicking sound amplifies by 10. Just fyi.

1 Like

Can we get a vid of that?

1 Like

Sounds like big bearing :joy: I just redid those on the kaly motors.

2 Likes