What do Daniel Kwan, Scott Davies, Electric DNA, and 3000 other riders all have in common?

i want race rubber! Even though ive yet to race and might be shit at it. By definition if im getting 2500 miles out of a sk8 tire it is too hard. Also im probably in the minority i dont realy want tubeless tires,i dont have a good reason for this,other than my rims as they are arent compatable. Im all for innovation, but im a creature of habit,if something works,let it be . Id be perfectly happy with 1000 mile tire life,that is softer .

I have never ridden a race sk8 tire,the only caviot would be if its like MC race rubber tires, they suck for street riding,because they are shit till they get up to temprature.Short of needing tire warmers id like the grip over the tread wear.
The nano drive equiped board i tested for SKP had softer tires,i LOVED them! i think they would get 700 miles for the way i ride,but given that they are the connection to the road,im ok with that .
The Stoge tires intrigue me,but my wallet says whoa there buddy,no more buying esk8 boards.

1 Like

I dont know if we rode the same tires but the skp drives that I was riding had 6" tires from metro board and those were way grippier than BKBs. What I am really excited for are the land surf RS tires that should be re released some time later this month I think

2 Likes

For me, and probably many others, I would prefer a stickier tire that lasted 1000 miles. The trade off would be well worth it for me.

Anyone have pics of the new Land Surf RS tires? Im assuming they only fit on wide rims.

Do those BKBs come in an 8” tire?

I haven’t seen any, my only info about them besides land surfs website

BKBs only are 6"

Hopefully fixes some issues with the previous version some were having.

2 Likes

The landsurf tires are pretty hard compound too, not very comfortable to ride

What issues?

Oh, their website paints a very different picture, they say they are basically summer race slicks with a couple cut outs in them. The sidewall is super firm so I imagine that is a lot of the discomfort you are talking about but I’m surprised you think they are a hard compound.

They describe them as exactly what he said “a stickier tire that lasted 1000 miles.” They even give 1000 as the estimated life under hard riding so less than half of the BKBs

“Think of this as a “max grip summer tire” like a Pirelli Corsa - a street legal race tire with max grip, but not something for wet environments. This is essentially like a race slick tire with a few small cutouts for treads.”

Well I don’t know if the new ones are different considering no one has them yet, but everyone I’ve heard talk about the first ones is that they’re uncomfortable and they last a long time

@poastoast isnt that right?

1 Like

Welcome Quinten, give Jared a nice big kiss with tongues for me.

2 Likes

Well now I’m much less excited for these to come back out. Thanks for saving me from land surf’s marketing :rofl:.

Maybe I’ll just stay with my metros. I tried a set of meepos cyclones but those had really bad balance on my set and detachable valve stems.

Don’t get me wrong they’re good for track, they have grip, but I wouldn’t ride them every day personally

The meepo ones on the other hand… Those are good for everyday

1 Like

meepo meepo

Well shit, I haven’t rode my cycling wheels yet. Though I heard good things. In regards to hard compound. My understanding is that the sidewalls are stiff which I don’t think correlates to the same softness on the treads.

BKB V1s we’re very soft and sticky, but sidewalls we’re stiff af.

@fujio001 some have ran into balance issues and tube tearing.

I have too, I think I got a bad set since everyone else has said they are really good. I will probably get another set to try since there is no way what I got is what other people were experiencing.

I went from BKBs 6" to metros 153s and the difference was massive, the metros were also at pretty low pressure compared to the BKBs but the grip and general behavior of the tire was very noticeable. The metros also felt like they have a softer sidewall but that could just be the pressure difference.

The BKBs are a steal compared to the metros, you can get a set of 4 BKB tires AND a spare for $5 less than the cost of getting just 2 metro 153s and for that reason alone I will be using them even though I don’t like them nearly as much. They also last probably twice as long as the metros from my experience.

2 Likes

The meepo cyclone tubed wheels are really grippy but wear pretty quick. The cyclone tubeless are what’s on my raceboard right now and they seem to be wearing decently well

3 Likes

No i agree with you softer sidewalls for sure , granted i was on DKP at the time, but flats on the metroboard tires were not rideable,to me anyway

2 Likes

The wear is good to know, I never rode them long enough to get toward the end of the tread. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get them to balance with weights so I gave up trying but then the stem decided it had better stuff to be doing and jumped ship and I was done with them from there.