What can we code?

C++ for MCUs :pepekhhhhhhhhhh:
Please dont tell me it’s arduino

The arduino ide uses c/c++, and since I got into microcontrollers via 3d printing about a decade ago, it’s what i futz around with

Now I’ve gotten a bit more advanced with my tools – I’m using the visual studio suite with the appropriate plugins.
I don’t know where the hate for arduino ever came from, it makes no sense

2 Likes

People cringe when it’s used in final to-market products. Just look at the comment section for the portenta release. Embedded engineers unanimously agree on the absurdity.

It is meant as a tool for beginners and rapid prototyping.

C and C++ are different languages. C is preferred because it gives you the most control. People only go to C++ for projects that need to support GUI or HMI because objects really help with managing graphics.

I cringe when it’s used to market products as well. it’s totally a piss-poor thing to use in a final mass-marketed device

since I only make things for myself, it’s totally appropriate to embed a development board – when the thing has outlived its usefulness, it can be harvested and re-tasked.

1 Like

no particular order

• C, C++, arduino some experience with flashing stm32 and esp32 chips with my own firmware using their toolchains and dabbling lately in freertos
  • Java
  • JS/ES6/TS
  • HTML/CSS
  • PHP (from the past)
  • Python but only dabble as well or use/modify rather than roll my own
  • SQL, have played with some nosql solutions like couchdb or graphql but not much experience

Can also find my way around onshape for parametric CAD and blender for tweaking STLs, fan and frequent user of kdenlive as well and ubuntu/linux/open source software in general.

1 Like

I’m aware of the difference. I have been working as a developer and database administrator for about 15 years, and hobbyist with electronics for 30. My first computer had a tape cassette as ‘optional’ storage.
I’m not sure what your purpose in trying to explain that was

So others know that C++ should not be treated as a go to for embedded unless you know what you are doing.

It might be so other folks reading the thread know

1 Like

This is a thing? Wow. That’s just lazy
I’m just wrapping up a project using a teensy 4 and I used the Arduino environment because it’s so easy and therefore fast. For work but not a product. Something we use with testing our actual product.

3 Likes

I’ve used C++ to make frogger on a particle.io photon controlled from a phone it doesn’t have to make sense.

People are using MICROPYTHON in finished products!!
It’s disgusting
Thanks IoT.

1 Like

JAVA
C#
JavaScript
Swift

1 Like

I’m a little surprised nobody has commented on the category this thread is on lol

4 Likes

It felt like flexing, since in a thread about coding language, one can assume sufficient ability to investigate which languages are most commonly used for which tasks.

the objects in c++ can save quite of work arounds, assuming you have the space on your chip, and understand timing issues.
there is a place for C++ when dealing with embedded.

2 Likes

Sorry, other people have been heckling me for not using C++ in embedded projects and I sort of let that frustration out on you. My apologies.
I don’t want to use an RTOS damnit.

Graphics :). thats what I keep telling the people who want me to use C++ D:<

1 Like

Depending on the SQL it can be Turning Complete (TSQL)

I read a Stack Overflow post that showed that to can be turning complete via the use CTE’s

Edit: though I get now meant you probably use SQL SQL and not it’s derivatives, I use TSQL

lol! I get you!
When I hear developers say they want to use a NOSQL ‘structure’ for data, I hear “I don’t understand relational models, and that makes me sad.”

3 Likes

Java
Python
C
C++
Objective-C
HTML
CSS
Javascript
VB.NET
SQL
PHP

Yet I nothing with all of this knowledge since silicon valley is a hard place to start your career.

okay, on a technicality, both major in-use variants (TSQL and PL/SQL) are – brainfuck and lolcode as also technically turing complete. the hoops you have to jump through to construct a state machine mean that while technically true, not in practice.

3 Likes

nostalgia!

for me:
PERL (second language, java was the first and I abandoned it immediately, so i’m not listing it here and it still sucks)
PHP
JSCRIPT on ASP/IIS
VBScript on ASP/IIS
JavaScript
CSS
HTML
MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL
Bash

1 Like