What are the good hub motors.

Anybody have any info on the 80mm Inboard Manta hubs? I know Inboard is out of business now, but it looks like there are a bunch of new hubs for sale on eBay, and it looks like they used Caliber trucks to begin with, so I’m guessing it shouldn’t be impossible to swap them to other caliber style trucks like Boardnamics, although the longer axles might be an issue? I can’t find any info on how they mount to the trucks or how long the stock axle is, so any insight is appreciated. I’m very close to buying a set for science.

8 Likes

Well, my obsessive curiosity got the best of me and I just bought a used (dead) complete Inboard M1 off ebay. I’ll report back if the hubs are useful at all for us. Damn you science! You win again.

5 Likes

Interesting, Inboard. :thinking: I think I can work with this. Regular 9" Caliber trucks, standard axle length. Self contained, bolt on & plug in hub motors. Noice.

7 Likes

what is the outside diameter?

not too much meat on those sleeves looks like…
that is cool they work with caliber.

2 Likes

They are only 80mm, but the sleeve design looks simple enough for someone to cast larger sleeves. So, that’s the one major drawback. However, I think the urethane for the sleeves and wheels was supposedly supplied by Blood Orange, so it’s probably about as good a ride on thin urethane as you’re gonna get. The front kegel core wheels feel very soft and like good quality urethane as well.

I’m gonna use them to power this Kickboard, and then throw them on a short board or swap them around to try out different decks later.

Also, the stock bushings with the integrated hanger hole ring? are a nice touch. And the cable management with the 9 pin connectors looks very clean and modular. Looks like it would serve a serial deck swapper like yourself pretty well.

1 Like

did this come out before unlimited hubs?

1 Like

I still ride mine and they are litteraly perfect when they work.

Does require for example i run a 40 liquid fire baseplate on rear/and a 42.5 Cronin front. then the deck is very stable fun and carvey.

2 Likes

I don’t know who came first, but they look like a decent alternative to the unlimited hubs, especially since most of my Rkp trucks are Caliber or similar profile. Although, ironically, if I wanted to use them on TB218’s or Boardnamics 220’s, it looks like I’d need to shorten the axles to standard skate length for the hubs to fit properly.

1 Like

I think Inboard. Their Kickstarter was back in 2015 and ride Unlimited mid 2016 irrc.

2 Likes

There’s some interesting Inboard stuff in this telegram group

2 Likes

That’s golden info right there! Thanks man. Hitting you a PM

Sure thing, Im one of those Raptor Fans dispite the issues, but solo without workshop has been challenging to continue builds. But got supplies and tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice find! Thanks for the link. Looks like someone just recently finished making new 90mm sleeves and wheels, so that’s cool.

1 Like

And just so no one mistakenly thinks that I’m a responsible adult, my quest for finding one set of hubs to mess with, resulted in me buying three dead boards, and now I have three sets of hubs to play with. :grimacing: But I regret nothing…yet. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Note the older open style Inboard hubs and the newer closed version.

4 Likes

you are among friends here.
Keep on keeping on!!!

4 Likes

Second hub looks crazy out of balance lol

How are the large hub motors used by Backfire on their X2 and X3? I have used the X2 extensively for commuting and it has been super reliable. Not very performance oriented in terms of top speed or acceleration. Also the solid rubber tires kind of suck.

2 Likes

if u don’t need to go fast, they are fine, also dkp can be convert into rkp tkp, so there’s that

e: i was dum

1 Like

If you could make a large diameter hub motor that can fit a wider pneumatic tire, that could sell.

abracadabra… nope

2 Likes