Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

Lmao I said the same thing when I got 200 of them

need some life BMS

2 Likes

I think you will be disappointed lol

2 Likes

That just means I wouldn’t have gone far enough!

How come my rc nitro truck has a two speed trany and my esk8 doesn’t

2 Likes

Why dont people make brushless motors discribed in this article and put a static piece around the can that can support the rotors bearing at the back. Seems wayyy better no?

1 Like

How hard would it be to incorporate a KERS type system into a board? Instead of being limited by max battery charge amps for regen, push all that regen energy into a small flywheel, and either slowly charge the battery safely over time from it, or dump the extra energy at once on acceleration.

3 Likes

I like the idea but I think hardening it from all the shock and vibration the system would receive would be tough and take up lots of room.

Would be incredibly cool though!

4 Likes

I’m making a board for the wife to goof around on and the enclosure is thin abs so I want to reinforce it.

I know some get sprayed with truck bed liner for extra strength but that’s rough and chunky. Anyone considered a rubbery coating like plasti dip or flex seal to hopefully prevent abs cracking?

5 Likes

Plastidip is pretty useless for reinforcing anything. I’ve used it in the past, and it’s too thin and soft to strengthen anything. It does ok for rubberizing to increase comfort, but it also peels off pretty easily, as designed.

3 Likes

Not all truck liner is rough and chunky. I’ve used herculiner and it’s pretty smooth once it cures, but very hard (won’t flex w/o chipping).

I like the finish and texture of line-x, and have seen it do some p impressive stuff.

4 Likes

@Linny did you get a green version or just paint over it? About to read through your build thread again to check but any tips would be appreciated.

1 Like

Theres no colored bedliner yet as far as I know. I just use the black one and then paint my desired color over it

2 Likes

Thank you sir!

Has anyone tried closed motor shrouds, or is that a bad idea? I’m thinking about designing and printing out essentially a cylinder that goes around the motor and blocks it from the elements (obviously stuff still might get in through the axle hole but you can’t win them all). Should help keep it clean and prevent dust from going in through the gaps, but how will it affect thermals? As I understand it, the motor can itself doesn’t heat up, but rather the core itself, which dissipates through the motor mount. I should also mention it’s a sealed can anyways, so the only gap is between the mount plate and the can.

I’ve considered this as well and motor temp wise, I feel like a fine metal mesh/plastic cap combo would be a better solution. I do think more of the motor heat dissipates through the motor mounts and not the air gap to the cans but am interested in others findings.

I ran one motor with a thick acetate sticker for a week and noticed no temperature difference between it and the nekkid motor. Different material but still a data point nonetheless.

The goal wasn’t to improve thermals, but rather to completely shield the motors without making thermals significantly worse. That’s why I was thinking more of a completely solid wall instead of the mesh thing that Trampa uses on theirs. Maybe I could put some close fitting spiral fins on it such that the laminar flow of the can spinning would pull air out slightly. I might try it out, but first I need a finished and tested board :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I was looking at mesh so fine it’s supposedly waterproof but definitely not going to be as impermeable as a solid object.

How big of gaps are we talking? 1-2 mm tops

Good question, the gap’s about 1-2mm, so it’s really inconsequential for the most part. But it’s still potentially just large enough that water or dirt could splash in. Or I’m completely overthinking things since motor bearings and sensors don’t seem to be exploding willy nilly on everyone else’s boards if they get dirty.

1 Like

I run through some nasty nasty stuff with unsealed, sensored motors and worry about the larger openings on the end. I epoxied over the sensor connections to hopefully prevent them from going but no issues yet on either offroad board. If you’re running sealed, you’re streets ahead of me already. Methinks you’re good.

1 Like

DEEIF GDrive for matrix trucks :face_with_monocle: I’ve got a dope belt setup planned, but a gear drive would mean $50 for a dual setup :sunglasses: