Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

I would wear that, make them pink too :grin:

2 Likes

Please call it the Farse Arse©

3 Likes

Could we add those metal studs that make sparks!?!?!? If so im in!

5 Likes

Probably dumb idea but what about a air intake for your enclosure to cool off your components that has a screen that doesn’t allow water in only air. Like what they use for speaker covers on water proof phones. I’m sure it’s not neccessary to actively cool components in cold climates but maybe useful in hot climates.

5 Likes

Not dumb at all. I’ve thought of this exact idea so it must be genius. Can’t make the intakes too big or you’ll look like a big ol truck guy

1 Like

So i have been out riding this evening with some friends. lots of messing about on wet grass and loose gravel. its got me thinking a lot about 4wd and how would be best to have it set up.

I have some questions and i hope someone here might know the answers.

1. is there any way currently to set up a 4wd so that traction control is spread across all 4 wheels? it feels like this would be very useful.
  2. can you set it up so that acceleration power is biased towards the back and breaking power towards the front? i remember reading about this somewhere but i cant remember where. also seems like it would be useful.
  3. do you think knowing turning angle would be beneficial when applying power in corners? modern cars that have force vectoring that bias power towards the outside wheels in hard corners because the weight shifts outwards and you get more grip pulling the car back into the corner. Im not sure if this hold true for a skateboard, my gut feeling is that when you lean into a corner your loading the inside edge, so this is where you would have more grip. would it mess up your steering moving more power to the inside edge? or would it be better to to give the power to opposite corners and try and aid the turning of the trucks?
  4. what about 4wd with 2 remotes, one in each hand, settup in a tank steer configuration so you have independent power control for toe side and heel side wheels? do you think this would give any advantage in corners?
3 Likes

Less of a weird idea, and more of a hope for the future.

Carbon Nanontube motor windings.

Potential includes:
Less sensitivity to heat than copper ( still limited by the heat tolerance of the magnets )
More conductive, means the ability to push more amps through a smaller diameter of wire.
And lighter weight, copper is really heavy.

Basically comes to smaller, more powerful, lighter, more efficient motors.

Currently though CNT yarn doesn’t outperform copper at all though, even in the lab.

2 Likes

I find your ideas intriguing, at least the first two, maybe three. I would become confused with the fourth idea (two remotes) and end up hurting myself quickly.

I’m unsure what the reaction time is running current esk8 electronics, but if someone were to try to develop a traction control system for esk8, it could probably be done with some calculations and trial and error (mainly on how to handle adjustments). More time to develop libraries needed for all of the variations that could come up, but likely easy to improve into something useful. I would be willing to helpin this if more people determine the utility of it going forward.

Acceleration-bias toward the rear would just be adjusting amps to be higher in the rear than in the front, same current. That would effectively reduce the torque in the front while allowing it to have the same RPM. I am unsure if this would have the desired effect, but someone can do that to find out. Braking would just be to increase braking power in the front. As I have not done any ESC programming, I don’t have any experience in that yet. Is the amps adjustable for each ESC and can we have things set up differently, front to rear, like this?

Turn angles,or something similar, would be necessary for 4wd, such that being able to apply different power to each tire would be easier to deal with after traction control is developed. Again, the electrics response time does play into this.

By the way, anyone know the current response time from the esk8 electronics to an input change?

Stupid idea I just had:

Because hall sensors fail every now and then, it might be useful to have a way to quickly switch from sensored mode to sensoreless, for example, if it starts pouring rain and you don’t want to risk getting a failure :stuck_out_tongue:

Something controlled by either your phone or Davega, so you don’t have to connect to your ESC via USB.

2 Likes

You can easily do that in Metr

3 Likes

Maybe you could just fit 2 sets of hall sensors into each motor for some extra redundancy :wink:

3 Likes

@b264

1 Like

@Harrisonwms1 It seems you are trying to stir some stuff?

I am not sure what you are talking about… :lying_face:

2 Likes

Vesc tool supports full setup via ble as well. It doesn’t seem quite as bug free as the desktop tool but I no longer have to open my enclosure to update, do motor detection or anything else.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to make a electric motorcycle, but the components price always drive me away, so I was thinking, given that we now have cheap motors and VESC based ESC’s, I could just put a few of them together to drive the rear a wheel, some 6x 6374 motors or more should work, paired with equal amount of FSESC 4.20

More careful analysis is needed to get the appropriate amount

Now just need a cheap source of batteries for 5+ kWh, and get my motorcycle license of course

3 Likes

After some tinkering, 6x 6374 should be enough for cruising at 110 km/h

1 Like

can anyone help me understand a certain aspect of this magnetic levitation technology:

https://esk8-news-objects.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/original/3X/e/5/e5ed1febf9fd910ed4f77ba8e55fcd6d6ecd6359.jpeg

^the top right graph clearly shows that as speed increases, the lift to drag ratio increases, but since the lift stays constant, it means the electromagnetic drag decreases with increasing speed, unlike wind drag and rolling resistance, which is counterintuitive

my theory is as the vehicle moves faster, the time it has to interact with each coil in the track decreases, and since the coils have inductance, which resists changes in current in addition to the ohmic resistance, then above a certain speed, there is not enough time to induce a significant current in each passing coil, due to the inductance, and so the drag decreases with increasing velocity because less current is produced in the coils in the track the faster the vehicle travels, since inductance is a function of time.

i’m trying to estimate how much kinetic energy a very high speed magnetically levitated vehicle will lose over a given distance to electromagnetic drag.

1 Like