Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

What material did you use for the base of the mold?

1 Like

Wierd idea: what about a selfbalance mode for eskate which could lift up the board on just 2 Wheels vertically and then with some kind of “follow me” mode via smartphone?
So the board could follow you (your phone) through lets say the supermarket without taking much space. Would be cool when the batteries are empty as well…just dreaming.
I think it could be pretty easy to do for some genius heads in here

7 Likes

I’ve seen a few people program a “wheelie mode” using an IMU with their VESC so it’s completely doable.

2 Likes

Cheap steel tubing! Here’s an update on the deck that came out:

7 Likes

Who did program the wheelie mode? Brian is working on wheelie mode as well.

this board has wheelie mode

4 Likes

I have these little thermistors that i planned on putting in some motors but never got around to it.

Would i be able to hook this up to the temp and gnd of the sensor pins on the esc and measure the temp of anything in my enclosure? :thinking:

1 Like

Just use the thermistor or your smart bms.

If any existing thermistor is disconnected and yours has the right resistance and beta value (a thermistor spec) then theoretically it should work.

Firmly tape down the thermistor and a bit of its wiring to the surface you are measuring the temp of and use a bit of thermal paste or any epoxy to help increase the amount of heat transferred to the sensor bead. Its round shape makes it terrible at measuring the temp of anything flat or convex so you need to embed the thermistor in something to help transfer the heat. Otherwise you will read too low a temp if the surface is heating up.

It also takes about a minute for the sensor to come up to the temp of the surface it’s attached to. This means if the temp it is measuring is changing all the time that you will always read too low or too high a temp.

But thermistors are inexpensive and the actual temp reading typically isn’t critical so they are a very popular way to measure temps.

2 Likes

Yep its definitely the right thermistor, and it will be installed nice and snug where it needs to be, i just wondered if the sensor port on the vesc would even work if the positive wasn’t connected to anything.

My smart bms is a balance charger.

3 Likes

Argghh….I glossed right over that. Someone else will have to chime in regarding that.

1 Like

Also, does it matter which leg of the thermistor gets connected to which pin?

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

I stopped for now because reasons

Dumb but maybe not so dumb idea:
Use heavier hubs with a greater moment of inertia for better freeroll :smiley:

2 Likes

Nah, the linear inertia of you is orders of magnitude larger than the angular inertia of your hubs.

Rockstar pros = 700g /4ct
Assume radius of gyration to be 75% of hub radius, ~38mm
Angular inertia = mass * radius^2 = 0.027 kg-m2

Let tire radius = 100mm (8in wheels)
1 m/s2 linear acceleration of board ==> 1 / radius = 10 rad/s2 angular acceleration of wheels
Force at contact patch required = angular inertia * angular acceleration / moment arm + linear inertia * linear acceleration = 0.027 * 100 + 0.7*1 = 3.4 Newtons

Force required to accelerate 75kg rider by 1 m/s2 = 75N
This is of course 20x larger. You would need to add 7kg to these hubs to have them contribute even half the momentum your body does.

Freeroll time = (starting momentum) / (air drag + rolling resistance + drivetrain drag)
There are easier targets for free roll!

Screenshot 2021-12-22 205257

EDIT: made a math error but the point remains the same

4 Likes

4 Likes

Should we have TOTY (thread of the year) as well as BOTY?

has anyone run doom on a davega?

1 Like

DOTY

dickoftheyear

2 Likes