Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

is this still relevant?

solder paste is awesome… like JB-weld solder!!! usually used for smd like mentioned…
you can’t spot weld it…

poof it’d be gone…

3 Likes

why can’t i get extended mtb axles so i can run 12" bmx wheels on a chain drive

those sweet double-wall rims are made for jumpin’

tires, tubes, and sprockets are easily available

Solder paste is basically tiny little balls of solder suspended in a flux solution. Flux being corrosive, in general, I would not recommend leaving solder paste that was not heated to its melting point and then cleaned with flux remover. There is no clean flux solder paste that exist but still I wouldnt.

4 Likes

why aren’t we cruising on 1/3 scale remote controlled cars/buggy’s with a riding platform attached on top

1 Like

That’s funny… That’s how I explain my esk8 to kids when they ask how I built it.

I tell them I loved remote control cars so much that I decided to build one big enough to ride :sunglasses:

Then half of them say “oh so you turn with the remote?”

:man_facepalming:

Well technically yes I do.

4 Likes

Crazy idea: Bestech releases a small current BMS (like 8A charge, 8A discharge) whose JST connector, instead of this:

• B0 (some models)
  • B1
  • B2
  • B3
  • B4
  • B5
  • B6
  • B7
  • B8
  • B9
  • B10

for example, it looks like this

• P- (some models)
  • C-
  • C-
  • B0
  • B0
  • B1
  • B2
  • B3
  • B4
  • B5
  • B6
  • B7
  • B8
  • B9
  • B10

so that the JST cable is the only wire you need to run to the BMS at all. And the conductors are doubled so the 3A rating on the JST connector is enough to do 4A charging directly through it.

2 Likes
1 Like

is there a way to have a battery powered disk brake connected to your front 2 wheels in case of a vesc shutdown that your remote could still control.

so if a malfunction with your internal stuff then these brakes could be battery powered and you could still brake and slow down?

thanks

2 Likes

I want to start at the top of a mountain road with an almost flat battery and go downhill engaging the brakes and see how far I need to go to get a full charge.

7 Likes

Lmao I said the same thing when I got 200 of them

need some life BMS

2 Likes

I think you will be disappointed lol

2 Likes

That just means I wouldn’t have gone far enough!

How come my rc nitro truck has a two speed trany and my esk8 doesn’t

2 Likes

Why dont people make brushless motors discribed in this article and put a static piece around the can that can support the rotors bearing at the back. Seems wayyy better no?

1 Like

How hard would it be to incorporate a KERS type system into a board? Instead of being limited by max battery charge amps for regen, push all that regen energy into a small flywheel, and either slowly charge the battery safely over time from it, or dump the extra energy at once on acceleration.

3 Likes

I like the idea but I think hardening it from all the shock and vibration the system would receive would be tough and take up lots of room.

Would be incredibly cool though!

4 Likes

I’m making a board for the wife to goof around on and the enclosure is thin abs so I want to reinforce it.

I know some get sprayed with truck bed liner for extra strength but that’s rough and chunky. Anyone considered a rubbery coating like plasti dip or flex seal to hopefully prevent abs cracking?

5 Likes

Plastidip is pretty useless for reinforcing anything. I’ve used it in the past, and it’s too thin and soft to strengthen anything. It does ok for rubberizing to increase comfort, but it also peels off pretty easily, as designed.

3 Likes

Not all truck liner is rough and chunky. I’ve used herculiner and it’s pretty smooth once it cures, but very hard (won’t flex w/o chipping).

I like the finish and texture of line-x, and have seen it do some p impressive stuff.

4 Likes

@Linny did you get a green version or just paint over it? About to read through your build thread again to check but any tips would be appreciated.

1 Like