Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

Maybe you could just fit 2 sets of hall sensors into each motor for some extra redundancy :wink:

3 Likes

@b264

1 Like

@Harrisonwms1 It seems you are trying to stir some stuff?

I am not sure what you are talking about… :lying_face:

2 Likes

Vesc tool supports full setup via ble as well. It doesn’t seem quite as bug free as the desktop tool but I no longer have to open my enclosure to update, do motor detection or anything else.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to make a electric motorcycle, but the components price always drive me away, so I was thinking, given that we now have cheap motors and VESC based ESC’s, I could just put a few of them together to drive the rear a wheel, some 6x 6374 motors or more should work, paired with equal amount of FSESC 4.20

More careful analysis is needed to get the appropriate amount

Now just need a cheap source of batteries for 5+ kWh, and get my motorcycle license of course

3 Likes

After some tinkering, 6x 6374 should be enough for cruising at 110 km/h

1 Like

can anyone help me understand a certain aspect of this magnetic levitation technology:

https://esk8-news-objects.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/original/3X/e/5/e5ed1febf9fd910ed4f77ba8e55fcd6d6ecd6359.jpeg

^the top right graph clearly shows that as speed increases, the lift to drag ratio increases, but since the lift stays constant, it means the electromagnetic drag decreases with increasing speed, unlike wind drag and rolling resistance, which is counterintuitive

my theory is as the vehicle moves faster, the time it has to interact with each coil in the track decreases, and since the coils have inductance, which resists changes in current in addition to the ohmic resistance, then above a certain speed, there is not enough time to induce a significant current in each passing coil, due to the inductance, and so the drag decreases with increasing velocity because less current is produced in the coils in the track the faster the vehicle travels, since inductance is a function of time.

i’m trying to estimate how much kinetic energy a very high speed magnetically levitated vehicle will lose over a given distance to electromagnetic drag.

1 Like

You can set the sensorless erpm value to some low number. That way, it just helps you start, but afterwards it goes on sensorless mode. But know that sensorless mode in low speed is inefficient because the position and velocity estimates are not as good.

1 Like

Has anyone thought of using something like this in an esk8?

1 Like

Yeah, a few guys have done it.

Imo a tracked system would be more worth the effort.
(I like off road)

On the cheap just motorize https://www.amazon.com/Rockboard-2118-Descender-Skateboard-Blue/dp/B00BYR7VTQ

I personally would find some quality small rubber tracks and build aluminum frames with motor mounts and rollers for the tracks. That would mount to your axles and have some compliant attachment to the hanger.

If you had one of those high end printers parts could be possible in nylon or something but metal would be better.

2 Likes

What about putting magnets in your deck and embedding magnets in your shoes so you wouldn’t need grip tape?

6 Likes

This may be out there, but hear me out…

An expansion of the stock vesc firmware that incorporates REAL traction control via acceleration and load sensing, thus implementing skid control and ABS braking like every other serious EV on the god damn market

Sorry, my experiences have made me salty.

5 Likes

electrons can’t tumble in empty space

a vesc normally acts as a buck converter to reduce the battery voltage… is there any technical reason it couldn’t it be designed to also act as a boost converter, in order to make a motor turn faster than battery v * kv?

i think it would be a good idea to build such a device.

3 Likes

It’s not the same as that, but field weakening does what you want, Vedder said a long time ago that would work on it

This guy already did it. It’s a great idea

1 Like