Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

11 Likes

This thing is so heavy actually, there’s so much leverage going on. The chance of me breaking a baseplate just seems so high, as well as the chance of me breaking a leg or something.

1 Like

I thought you were bluffing but you really went and added them onto a deck. Ride video when?

also if you think it could break an ankle then I can test it for you. My ankles can be twisted or rolled without breaking anything

not gonna ask

3 Likes

Someone botched a battle hardening job. took axles out of can (why?), did the epoxy, and worked the axles back in… The long way (~100mm of shaft through interference fit motor can instead of just 10-20mm of travel) … with a hammer.

The hammered shaft end mushroomed. It also got stuck halfway through the 100mm of travel to return home.

Thermal expansion tricks, penetrating oil, and an arbor press could not reseat the shaft in the can or remove it.

I unhammered it with a hammer.

This deformed the aluminum can base the steel axle sits in. (I cleaned up the mushroomed end). The can magnets now pull the stator out of parallel and it wobbles, real bad.

waste of my time, I shouldn’t have gotten involved.

I was trying to go to sleep and I had a weird idea.

What if I connect the good and bad cans with set screws, jbweld, and sweat? I have 10mm steel and could make a ~240mm shaft that ties the two cans together.

This monstrosity demands A super single (@b264). Phases in parallel too? Desync shouldn’t be a problem. Right?

#63200 #longshaft #2cans1axle

5 Likes

Scrolling through this. Love how the app tells you individual cell voltages. thinking for the future i am imagining upgrading the cells in the same enclosure same layout of 10s1p. My cells are still good, and surely my motors will fail first but fitting some high capacity cells in here seems a dream. Still get 12mi of the 10s2p setup but its never enough :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I know there’s a lot going on here, but are we not even gonna mention that stepper motor?

I think that’s a brushed DC motor from the second gen Evolve boards.

interesting, ive never seen a non stepper motor with a housing like that

1 Like

For my next trick, I’ll spin a stepper with a dipsky esc. (The evolve stepper looking thing thing has three phases and sensor cable. I have another rusted one I’ll take apart for science. )

As bad and weird as this has been (the thing above did spin on a unity), I have another strange idea…

Don’t even trip, I know for a fact your M8 Wera is a lazy, jobless bum, hanging out with other vagrants like Skinny Red, and Fatboy Blue.

2 Likes

funny my V1 ow uses M7 head hub bolts and M9 holding the halves together.

That’s probably for non-repairability reasons if I’m to guess

1 Like

No that is not the size of threads sorry I should have said 7mm and 9mm hex key.

It is totally reasonable sizes, spot on choices for them.

Also remember the V1 ow is from before they went to the dark side.

FM be like on repair^^

2 Likes

Adjustable kV motors for precision tuning setups

3 Likes

electromagnetic suspension system

1 Like
5 Likes

What if I Griddle my enclosure? …

4 Likes

Board idea: 4wd board but with individual motor control.

There has to be at least a handful of you on here with the parts to make this happen. Even better is the fact that you don’t need to mess around with having the controllers talk to each other since they would all be working separate. Might need a 3d printer to design a better remote casing in place of just taping remotes together

1 Like

I’ve seen 4wd with independent front/back control… I’m not sure having control of all 4 individual motors would be very useful realistically

1 Like

This exists in the form of magnetorheological dampers which are available on the market from a number of manufacturers and are somewhat common in performance cars and some luxury cars, their strength is how widely they can change their performance. Also, the well-known bose active suspension project, they sold that IP to a company called Clearmotion and nothing has come of it, It’s just so insanely expensive it doesn’t justify the price increase over something like Mercedes Airmatic with the new read ahead suite, or the Rolls Royce “Planar Suspension” in combination with their “Flagbearer” suite. Maybe something will come from the Clearmotion project but it doesn’t look like it will.