Waterproofing enclosure

I don’t know how much I would trust a 3D printed riser, but if you’re sure of your additive manufacturing skills, then I might just epoxy where the wires come out of the switch. But it depends, it’s hard for me to see in there and using epoxy is NOT foolproof, you can’t get it anywhere it doesn’t belong, and keeping it from running all over the place while it cures is an art

3 Likes

Even if you don’t have rain ride plans, consider squirting some dielectric grease into the button itself, since it’s facing up, water doesn’t have a low point to flow back out if any does get in.

2 Likes

Would a wd40 do?

WD40 doesn’t last very long.

Can butyl tape also be used to attach the battery to the deck (currently using 3m velcro)?

No, definitely not. It’s not an adhesive though it sure acts like it. It’s a sealant.

2 Likes

@b264 I just used some sugru, see Clandestino I | Landyachtz Evo 40 (Hydro dipped) | Helical Gear Drive | Kahua Trucks | MK IV VESCs - what do you think of that?

1 Like

I use black foam window and door seal from lowes. Black rtv where the seams meet. Zero issues

I thought sugru was okay, but it had a short shelf-life and was pricey. It’s especially good for remotes or other things you fondle with your hands, it has a good tactile feel to it when cured.

I probably wouldn’t use it to waterproof an enclosure, but I don’t think it’s a terrible choice.

Honestly after using butyl tape it’s hard to consider something else, unless the enclosure wasn’t a tight fit and I didn’t have a spacer, then I think butyl tape would not be good.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try butyl tape next then.

Use up your sugru before it expires. :wink:

The expiration date on the package is not a joke.

This is coming from the guy who disregards most expiration dates and will eat almost any food regardless of the date on the packaging.

1 Like

I’ve been using butyl tape for over a year on a commuter board and it’s very good. It never hardens, so it flexes with the board and enclosure. The extra ooozes out a bit after installing, just scrape it away no problem. When I do need to pull the enclosure, it has a good suction to prove it’s still working :+1:

Best of all, they have lots at the local hardware store sold as “window sealant”

3 Likes

My limited experience with it is really good so far as well. I wish I’d read a water resisting thread authored by @iamasalmon a year ago :rofl:

2 Likes

To be honest, I didn’t know how well it would work. I use it all the time to seal deck plates on boats, tho

1 Like

Next thing you’re going to tell me is boat builders know a thing or two about waterproofing, eh?

:rofl:

1 Like

You can remove the enclosure without destroying the butyl tape seal, or do you have to first take it away and seal the enclosure to the deck again? Although I haven’t tried yet, I would guess that with sugru you will have to do it all over again …

Actually more lax than you think about water intrusion. Boats let the water in then pump it out.

Wait… bilge pumps on skates? Could be the next big thing :joy:

1 Like

It’s like silly putty (probably is silly putty).
You’ll may deform the seal taking it off, but you can just squish/pinch it back into place or lay more down and cut the extra off. It’s super cheap, you get like 10 boards worth for $10.

Full confession:
I had it around the house and was too impatient to wait for the foam gasket to come in the mail.

edit: I swear I have posted about butyl tape before. Can’t find it now, maybe on the old forum.

2 Likes

Yes, if it’s a thick and strong fiberglass enclosure. I have to pry HARD to get the enclosure off. If it was ABS or even thinner fiberglass you’d probably destroy the enclosure trying to get it loose.

But as @iamasalmon said, you can mostly reuse it again, just squish it back into place, and I have added a little bit more new as well. It’s a lot like chewing gum or Silly Putty that never hardens but isn’t completely soft either, and is very sticky and malleable.

2 Likes

Magic stuff :crazy_face: - will try!