Waterproofing at all costs: a discussion.

I’ve heard of both unities and stormcores glitching and being unusable until they have had a hard disconnect/reconnect.

Also, its just peace of mind to be able to completely disconnect easily.

Lastly, emergency situations. Any number of things could happen where it would be ideal to just pull the power.

I’d never build without a loop key of some sort unless it were just too hard/impractical to put one in. There are a quite a few ingenious loopkey designs around. I particularly like @janpom ‘no remove’ loopkey model that he was kind enough to share. Will see if I can find it

Edit: found it

13 Likes

I have a 9S single drive build on ahmyo akashas that has a focbox and a flipsky eswitch in it. no power button, just a charge port. works great, I don’t think I’ve ever had to do anything with it after it was built.

9 Likes

I am not really good with the Why of all this stuff…

but mine do seem to vary quite a bit as to how much spinning it takes…

the 2 flipsky smart switches are really fast…
the Unities are the ones that vary.

1 Like

these are good considerations.

if my shit falls in a lake I’ll have to watch it sit there and burn…

I decided to forego this robustness for reasons that are not as good.

I am ok with my reasons…

I have never done loopkeys so think of me as liking to live dangerously…

6 Likes

Yeah, I find I have to kick spin a wheel to get it to turn on (Flip Enhanced). If I simply kick off and go, will coast to a stop with no connection.

Time out works fine, though. And do note that there is a minor power leach with these.

1 Like

I printed this out, but it didnt feel rugged enough for me to trust it. Granted, I used PLA

1 Like

I can’t press “like” enough times on this.

4 Likes

Laughs in PETG

3 Likes

Ive been meaning to set up roll to start. But i still want my power button. No loopkey. I even made several loopkeys as soldering practice. But eh. If it dies, it dies. I decided on that attitude about this particular build as soon as i had to finish shaping the deck myself. Still waterproofed the living fuck out of it. Good enough.

1 Like

Good lord, No! Dun do it! Dun ever connect the esc to battery without connecting the switch to that plug beforehand. Alternatively, you can either short the switch’s pins or entirely bypass the esc’s built-in antispark switch.

1 Like

this seems like a better solution, thanks. I’ve been leaving my board powered on 24/7 anyway and monitoring the battery all week, seems to barely drain at all if any when not in use and has been fine which is another part of why I want no power switch.

if I can, I’ve also heard of some people turning their board on via the remote

I was just wondering, why is this important?

1 Like

BTW my Stromcore has roll to start, but I can’t find wether or not it has auto-shutdown
That would be cool

1 Like

to have a build with no power button in the pursuit of waterproofing. fewer holes=less points of ingress for water. also thinking of combining hall sensors and phase wires into 9-pin XLR plugs to reduce the hole count

I second @EreTroN 's question. Why? I plugged the battery into my xenith, then the switch. I detect no problems.

@tech.shit if you want waterproof, obvi the less holes the better, but just conformal coat everything( @b264 , what is the exact stuff you use again?), silicone inside the enclosure around every hole, and do at least 2 coats of flex seal spray. It takes for EVER to dry but it works well. Comes in colors, too. Particularly heavy around the edges of the enclosure. And, run all wires through rubber gaskets, not just drilled holes.

1 Like

It does for sure. I think it’s about 10 minutes

2 Likes

West System 650 epoxy and butyl tape work amazing for waterproofing

1 Like

i think putting this much effort to prevent water getting in has some diminishing returns specially at the cost of convenience and power

i don’t think xlr can handle the amps you might end up hitting on a board, but i could be wrong, there may be plugs with 3 main phase pins to handle more power

but i’ve done water resistant board bo problem for much less effort (i can find photos for proof later)

good sealing goes a long way

2 Likes

It’s not a lot of effort, really. It’s just the right effort.

If you try to use cable glands, or if you try to route wires through or around the edge of an enclosure, then you’re probably going to have issues.

If you do it a good way then it’s low effort with high results. Do it a bad way and it’s high effort with low results.

8 Likes

rubber grommets, gaskets, and foam can go a long way.

5 Likes