Water invasion sensor idea

Xiaomi humidity sensor seems has potential as water invasion sensor for esk8

It very tiny To fit enclosure.
2 Likes

Looks like a wi-fi device (uses a gateway) not a bluetooth device.

as in, you wont be able to use this outside the range of your router.

2 Likes

problem solved.

7 Likes

How to solve

I think his board has a wifi modem at the back :joy:

7 Likes

What about using the phone itself as wifi access / wifi direct?

1 Like

Why not just use a regular dumb water sensor? It’s basically the size and thickness of a sticky note, and the leads can go to a speaker or whatever you want. Plus they’re probably way cheaper.

10 Likes

Well, I think that the Xiaomi sensor it’s a humidity sensor, so even if the air inside the enclosure it’s “wet” it will tell you so, so you can act quickly. For the water sensor to work there has to be “a substantial amount” of water. By then it might be too late.

4 Likes

Osrr users could use their remotes wifi capabilities to check the device from time to time on the go… :joy:

Unless they need actual internet access, couldn’t your phone also suffice then?

Nice idea

Scenario 1: when you commute through rain.
You can check xiaomi sensor It through wifi in office or home

1 Like

I don’t think humidity by itself is a good representation of water ingress. It could be a 100% humid day, and the enclosure would get there as well since they’re not airtight, and it’s the air that’s carrying the moisture. Conversely, standing water is unlikely to increase humidity by very much, so water already in the enclosure might still be easily missed if you’re looking at just humidity.

4 Likes

Wont work, the gateway has one protocol that communicates w the IoT device, the gateway then uses w/e wifi protocol that is needed. Else you’d just connect the sensor directly to your router.

Today on “why don’t we make something useful into a stupid IoT device?”

…And then they made a startup.

And then they went bankrupt. the end.

2 Likes

the blue beads will change to pink in Humid environment

And then you have to “break the enclosures seal” everytime to check… Meh

2 Likes

Moist in the air is enough to cause corrosion, it condensates.
A few drops within the enclosure raises the humidity and at some time will condensate -> corrosion.
Our enclosures are not airtight, hardly any really vapourtight.
If you don’t open it regulary to inspect and ventilate, it is rather easy to be to late.

Those little shiets are actually ble devices

2 Likes

Attach a moisture sensor to an arduino nano or ESP8266

Sorry to revive this thread, figured it was better than starting a new one.

As I’m now making my 3rd board, I’ve been using much more expensive components and I’m becoming increasingly wary about the thought of water destroying them.

I think @Hoho0220 's statement about using silica beads was brushed off a little too quickly. What’s the harm in throwing a bunch of them in some breathable containers in your enclosure? (Maybe even just throw in the packets if the motor controller doesn’t get too hot) I think it’d purely benefit any longboard build given it’s the mist that kills electronics. You don’t HAVE to replace them often but you could just replace them whenever you’re doing maintenance.

Sidenote: you could use a DHT11 with an esp32, if it survives the vibrations it’d give really accurate readings of humidity and air temp. Maybe even using a “dumb” solution such as humidity indicator stickers to zero in on your source of ingress?

1 Like