VSETT ZERO 9 Split Hub with 8.5x3" wheels + Pulley Group Buy?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been looking into tires with short sidewalls because they roll better and steer sharper. I wanted wheels bigger than my 200x50 but smaller than 10".
I found the VSETT ZERO 9 split hub on AliExpress and paired it with 8.5x3" off-road wheels.
The sidewall is a bit shorter than my 200x50 - 40mm compared to 43mm.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHALuir

While the Zero 9 hub has a 60mm axle width, the seller pointed me to the ZERO 8 scooter front wheel hub, which sits at a narrower 41mm.

The bearing seat accommodate a 6000 bearing (10x26x8mm). I grabbed all four wheels (hub, tire, inner tube) on a deal for 156 euros during the ‘Back to school’ sale.

As a bonus, the seller threw in 12x26x8 bearings and spacers suitable for 12mm axles. Just a note, these bearings might be tricky to get out because they’re tight together.

Now, I’m curious if anyone here can craft an HTD5M pulley (ranging 74T to 80T) tailored for this hub. If there’s enough interest, we might even consider a group buy for it.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

4 Likes

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I totally be willing to pick up a set and investigate making some sort of pulley or geardrives adapter. How did you get it with a knobby tire and bearings? Would I need to message the seller?

Glad to hear you’re interested! Yes, you should definitely message the seller. He’s very responsive and communicates well with customers.

Initially, I was seeking tubeless tires, but then I learned that tubeless tires can’t be mounted on detachable hubs…

2 Likes

Well. They can, the hub just has to be made for it. See meepos tubeless tires.

1 Like

Is The meepo hub detachable? (split hub)

1 Like

Yeah

1 Like

I can absolutely design a pulley for it, with that much surface area i’d wager you could even 3d print one lol.

2 Likes

I think it’s 3 parts with 2 o-rings sealing them

2 Likes

I’m speaking to the AliExpress seller, I wanna see if I can kinda get a bulk discount for the US since it appears OP is in the EU. I think apex jump drives adapters are super straightforward

1 Like

You can try reaching This store too. They were also quite responsive:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwzONyB

1 Like

Thanks! I was actually thinking of a 78T or 80T aluminum hollow pulley. Do you think it’s safe to use a plastic pulley of that size?

can’t confirm that. The part of the hub that contains the two bearings seems to be press-fitted metal

2 Likes

If it was me, id do a plastic pulley insert with lasercut aluminum shims to construct the teeth. But thats just because i dont have access to a CNC machine.

1 Like

Paging @surfnacho

2 Likes

If he’s got a mill, i can make a CAD file for the pulley pretty easily for that.

2 Likes

Thanks Evan. Ye I’d be happy to machine a batch :slight_smile:

I’m can design the part as well. I’ve had to make tons of pulleys for robotics.

1 Like

Yessir, I just got a Haas VF2.

3 Likes

Ah neat, ill see what i can do about these model wise unless @evwan or you wants to handle the CAD lol.

By chance, do you do commissions? Ive got a college capstone project, ive bought the billet 7075, got the model done, just waiting on my campus machinist lol.

2 Likes

Yeah I definitely can help machine those parts for you.

I used to make custom parts for the community using the mills at my robotics team’s shop and my router at home. Since I moved away for school, I haven’t had access to any of that, so I decided to buy my own machine and set up shop. To avoid cluttering this thread, let’s take to PMs.

2 Likes