VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

No, but it wasn’t a lot compared to the speed run.

The weight of a modern mini-cam incorporated into a remote is neither far-fetched, too heavy or pointless.

Good possibilities for capturing rich video with data overlays etc. Makes some sense with a tough remote case like this too.

1 Like

Thats what confuses me. I just tested how many amps i would draw driving “uphill” from a stillstand (although regularly, not reverse) I pulled more than 34Amps per Motor (at roughly 3-4km/h)
This might not be a apples to apples comparison but still.
On this joke of a hill.

1 Like

At low speed, your duty cycle is low therefore voltage output to motors is low. You generally see much higher amps starting off to overcome the bottleneck in power output from restricted initial duty cycle. Amps will drop off to meet the rising duty cycle as you accelerate

2 Likes

Finally had some time to test the wand remote.

I came from a remote mini trigger style :smiley: so had to be careful at the beginning because brakes and throttle is reversed.

First couple of minutes it felt I was driving my board for the first time again especially during corners. But after some time I gained confidence quite fast. For me the throttle response just after the deadband was a little bit too aggressive. So I adjusted the throttle curves with some negative expo. It feels much better now.

Overall I really like this remote. The telemetry is great. No dropouts. AAA batteries are a big plus for me. Built quality feels premium. Smart reverse. :ok_hand:

Maybe 1 thing to complain. What kind of new features can we expect in the future. and when?

FYI:
NRF module on the Escape you need to swap all the pins 180 degrees
NRF module on the Focbox you need to swap the TX and RX

5 Likes

It should work while the animation is played. Benjamin is visiting me today anyway, we will check that issue straight away. Question: If you hold both buttons down for a while, does it jump to metric or imperial?

We will dig into this ASAP.

1 Like

Maybe a fw version displayed somewhere in the menu for future fw update?
Not really neccessery for now, but in future with more fw versions released it might help for any kind of trouble shooting to identify under which fw the issue occured.

5 Likes

I would love to see the usb programming implemented also. I still haven’t taken the wand out of the shipping box…

Sure, that’s the way to go.

New FW available with the next VESC-Tool 1.27 that will hopefully be available tomorrow.
FW rev. number + full functionality while Logo displays.

6 Likes

Vesc-Tool 1.27 is online now. Update your Wands please.
The Wand now works during startup graphic display. A fraction of a second boot time is enough to get full functionality. The FW revision number displays in the temperature screen.

6 Likes

Will it be possible to update the wand firmware through usb in the future?

1 Like

We work on USB updates. The Wand has a slimmed down FW, adding a bootloader would be necessary for USB uploads. Let’s see what 2020 brings on the table…

2 Likes

This is a great improvement. However, I still agree with Andy’s suggestion that we should be able to get rid of the start up graphics. It looks cool the first time, but doesn’t add any practical value or functionality.

The USB update is definitely needed. I’ve had to connect the current cable permanently to the vesc and leave it hanging out the back of my enclosure. Not optimal at all.

On another note - the wand has another undocumented feature - it doubles as a handy wrist guard to break your fail when you do stupid shit. Worked for me.

1 Like

I’d love to see the usb implemented, I think the way it is now is pretty ghetto.

If you put the connector an angle, you should have good contact. I flashed 150 units myself and tit always worked fine. USB is the next step forward.

Does anyone know how to update the wand? Do i just do input connect wizard and will it update by itself?

Go there and connect the wand via swd to the connected vesc

1 Like

Hmm so I need to open up the wand and use this cable they provided ? Do i need a firmware file or will the vesc tool do that by itself?