VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

You’re going to have to find a re-shipping service my man

1 Like

The benifit for the community is that development is driven by competition. If one company has a monopoly in any market sector it’s bad for consumers.

So? To prevent “ripoffs” ben didn’t release hardware files for vesc6. Keeping some of your secret source secret is a reasonable way to stop Chinese clone hardware.

The fork is not there for others to develop new technology, it’s to allow @Deodand to take the project in a different direction to where Ben plans to take it. And that’s fine. Additionally it allows other Devs to get involved and add features if that’s what they wish to do.

Seems to be working. Unity, metr, DieBieMS, OSRR Devs at all working together to build better connected hardware for everyone.

How many other open source projects from the community is trampa collaborating with?

Edit: I realise metr is not an os project but developer is still an active part of the community and collaborating with other members.

4 Likes

Schematics are needed to understand how software and hardware come together.
The VESC schematics allow other companies to design their own hardware. This is no ripoff as long as they market their stuff in a fair way (which is not always the case)
A ripoff is a straight copy that delivers the message: I’m the same, look the same, perform the same, I’m just cheaper (because I don’t price in R&D and project support).

Benjamin wants to enable others to learn and create new technology, to get inventive and share back innovation in consequence. The idea is to push things forward rather than to code the same stuff over and over. Wheel is invented, now put your effort into the suspension, rather than reinvent the wheel. When suspension is nailed, invent the stabilization etc. Open Source wants to accelerate. And most important: it wants to make technology that has an impact on our lives visible and understandable. Otherwise humans and societies will soon be controlled by a black box technology that we don’t see and don’t understand. No more checks and balances…
If no one sees the hardware schematics another principle of OS is broken - the many eyes principle. Many eyes see more than few eyes. Issues in the electronic schematics potentially stay undiscovered and the masses can’t contribute by suggesting improvements.

@Deodand defines ripoff as any hardware that would allow to run on the modified firmware he coded. Actually his own fork would be in the scope of a ripoff as he defined it. A ripoff that doesn’t want to be ripped off. This is not how OS works in my eyes.

Benjamin’s and my understanding of OS is different. We want people to get inventive and we
stimulate inventions. That’s why we see more different hardware designs these days.
How good these designs are is not in our hands, but we can offer a reliable original version and design new versions.

BTW, there is plenty of secondary hardware existing for the VESC environment and there is lots of code contribution happening. Just think of the self balancing stuff that got merged. So many developers get back to Benjamin it’s sometimes hard to cope with. Reviewing and rewriting of the code is quite time consuming.

6 Likes

Litterally no one has done that.

The problem is your wheel is not the wheel everyone wants. It’s got tons of bells and whistles, which customers are paying for, but don’t actually want.

That’s just silly, is illogical and confrontational for no reasonable purpose. I mean, unless your purpose was to be a dick, I’d totally believe that.

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Known Issue with Vesc Wand? [Unverified]

So how long until this is working on a unity :wink:

Ask @Deodand. He has one and could make it work.

not long i think :slight_smile:

Yup I’m working on it! I’m working on a larger scale update but I’ll release a smaller patch to add compatibility soon.

FYI the displays from alieexpress are identical in every observable way:

26 Likes

Yikes…

@Trampa
Is the silicone sleeve for the wand coming any time soon? Wanted to order vescs and wand together with it in one go.

What they are called on Aliexpress? Trying to find a few but can only find the square ones

3 Likes

Did you know it isn’t possible for them to be the same screen? Lol

EOL part.

No, they are not EOL like already stated in this thread. I really don’t understand your point why you are trying to tell us the opposite.

I posted this link here and Jeff said he ordered two of these. On Alibaba you can find those for a better price.

3 Likes

Good luck with your purchase.

I don’t think there is any point on concentrating on the round screen…

Sure someone with a Wand and one of these AliE screens can do a microscopic comparison and compare part numbers, maybe even plug it in, they may turn out to be the same or at least work the same with the same dimensions.

Does it really matter? Trampa would have sourced as cheaply as they could with the order number, maybe this was overlooked or perhaps the factory making them made ‘a few more’ at the same time and released them, certainly China-made and does anyone control what comes out of China? thought not

Perspective does not mean lies, come on people…surprised at the vendors jumping in with the kill-crowd, give it a rest and enjoy the cool tech.

8 Likes

Was it worth to develop your own OLED display and have it made in small quantity rather than stocking on these EOL displays? Just asking, because it sounds so complicated and expensive.

I wanted a small round display, but the display hexcopte refer to is EOL.
This is no option for a production model. You might still find 50pcs somewhere.

The Wand follows a very straight forward design, basically a square stick with rounded front end.
For this design a small round high resolution display is ideal.
So we had to make a decision and finally invest into making
a similar small round and very bright display happen.
We found a display company that was helping us to get it rolling.
For them it is painful to do small quantities though. MOQs are quite high in that industry.
However, I like it quite a lot. High resolution, very energy efficient and just big enough for my taste.

2 Likes

It in fact does matter. It’s about truth and accountability and a history of neither.

4 Likes