VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

If you have a 31mph top speed then with 83% throttle still a pretty good 25mph cruising speed /s

Does the slider move all the way to the end?
Wh/km is calculated from both VESCs. The mastsr VESC knows that you run a twin setup.

Just wondering if the plan is still to open source the firmware for this remote? I’m really impressed with the firmware and how fluid the display is. Vedder (unsurprisingly) did some awesome work there.

I’d love to see a design revision with a more premium feeling thumbstick, by that I mean the actual potentiometer. Perhaps plastic instead of metal up around the antenna region to maximize signal uniformity.

9 Likes

yeah all the way to the end

That is the case. Signal to board is very good and stable.

The FW will be OS, but the display is a custom display. There was nothing available that would have met the size and standard we wanted for the Wand. We could actually display small video clips or run a simple video game.
If you use a different display you will need to code a different driver.

Thumb potentiometer actually fees quite nice and is very fine tuned. I can easily control 2Km/h difference.

We will check that. It would be fairly easy to adjust that matter in the FW. I’ll report back.

1 Like

Isn’t this the display?

https://www.good-display.com/products_detail/productId%3D460.html

Having a custom OLED made in such small quantity would be prohibitively expensive.

3 Likes

The one you linked is not made any longer. Similar, but different.
Standard 0.75 round OLEDs are not made any longer.

What duty cycle do you get displayed when wheels are lifted from the ground. Probably your board doesn’t have enough torque to go to full rpm.

Source?

Looks like you can just order almost 1k from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046868688.html
I doubt they are not longer made.

2 Likes

Yeah I ordered 2 of those for science

3 Likes

0.75 round is not made any longer. Production stopped end of last year. If you find a display factory willing to start a production, tell me.

14440 USD sounds like a bargain.
11539 USD for shipping on top.

Frank -nah nothing to do with board torque (which I have pleny of -6KW or so)
Even with just wand on with no board connection /hard brake the little bar goes full left but hard throttle -the bar only goes about 80 % to the right

On the phone vesc tool with wheels lifted -duty cycle only goes to 83% but -100% on full brake
Cheers

There a layer of carbon in the top deck too, not sure it goes completely across, but bigger question is why the signal works fine with the stock controller, enquiring minds demand knowledge

Send me a PM, we can sort that out.

I think you don’t understand the purpose of Aliexpress really well. It is meant for single person small quantity orders. Not company big volume orders.

BTW I contacted a few companies and got the response that these 0.75 inch round displays are still getting produced. You told me I should tell you…
Price USD7 per piece.

6 Likes

5K MOQ @ 7$ = 35K in part stock.
Or you simply specify exactly what you want to have and have that made in relevant quantities…

I can buy a random 8" tire from China, or design and specify my own tire and have it made by my trustworthy supplier. Both measure 200mm in diameter and are black, but that’s about it.

Tell me when you found a 200mm tire in China that somehow looks similar to a tire we sell.
What is your point? I really don’t get it.

1 Like

Really appreciate you making this video – really informative, covered everything pretty much.

Pretty sad though that the remote uses up a UART port; don’t know if I want to risk using a splitter just to have both this remote and a Davega. Can I get away with 2 UART devices if I have 2 ESCs though? Has anyone tried?

I don’t think this would be a problem, I use a METR on my slave vesc and a Feather remote (UART Only) on my master.

If you want to use multiple devices per UART-Port/ESC you would nedd some kind of uart-switch (I think someone was developing one). But I would not toss my remote in that group, it should have always prio N.1

3 Likes
4 Likes