VESC (Very Official)™ - Missing Options

That’s what I and others are trying to explain. This implementation if current with reverse IS unexpected brake behavior. Many of us have been using Ackimaniacs implantation for months, over a year, with please results.

3 Likes

More testing is never a bad thing but I’ve been running it on both my boards with no issues. Now i don’t jump my board or roll them down hills without giving throttle or brake.

But it’s literally the only reason I’m running outdated Ackmaniac firmware. One single feature.

My wheels have never spun backwards unless I wanted them to, and while i know this is anecdotal I’m sure many others have had the same experience. Just take that into consideration for how useful this feature is!

1 Like

I’ve made an official feature request on the Vesc-Project forum almost 2 years ago :thinking:

It was exactly what @mmaner and many including me want. Setting ERPM limit for direction switch plus double tap for safety. Best would be selectable single, double or triple tap from standstill. I’m just dreaming…

According to Benjamin it’s not difficult to implement

For those many of us with PPM remotes this would be a great feature :partying_face:

I’m just curious how the reverse function exactly works on the Wand.

4 Likes

Hit button, reverse. Also allows to let goofy riders have a go with front wheel drive and VS. Profiles also let you set speed limits for reverse.

After hitting the button what happens? Does it mean when pushing the throttle forward (accelerating) it rides backward (like commercial boards)?

Personally I prefer the reverse function when pushing the throttle backward (like braking).

It would be great to have the option for different ppm modes on different profiles in the VESC-Tool app as well (like in Ackmaniac’s app).

So you can switch between a profile “normal mode” with brakes only and “reverse mode” (below a certain ERPM limit) on the fly. :pray:

1 Like

IMO this is more likely to cause unexpected behavior than the brake-release-brake. You switch the remote to reverse; take a short break; forget about the reverse; start the board. You end up going in the wrong direction.

Having both options in the FW config would be ideal. I understand this may be too much to ask since there’s no value for your business and the need for testing makes the development costly even if the implementation is easy.

4 Likes

Could always be added as an experimental/untested feature hidden away in a menu if needed. Ack’s got a great implementation and Imo its all thats needed but extra features and configurability are never a bad thing.

1 Like

The other thing we need with “Reverse” is a “Reverse maximum speed” which is a percentage of the maximum erpm.

So like, I can set reverse (that comes on after a double brake) to be

of the defined maximum forward erpm. (this would be adjustable)

1 Like

When is the “double” not in order again… Do you need to pull the throttle (accelerate) after one brake for the vesc to ignore the second brake, or do you need to brake again within a certain time frame for the vesc to go in reverse?
Say that I brake once and then free roll a few seconds and then brake again, will it go in reverse if speed is low enough?

If anyone is coming from RC car hobby, most all of them (hobby grade) have this behaviour. Brake come to a stop, go back to neutral then brake again gives reverse. So I think there is precedent and expected behaviour for this. Also the reverse can never be activated at forward speed so it’s quite safe.

4 Likes

Yes, Nico’s version does exactly that. The cutoff speed is adjustable. I like that.

BUT reverse max speed and motor currents in his version are stuck at 100% of forward speed/currents and not adjustable, so reverse is ludicrously too fast. I don’t like that, and don’t use the reverse functionality because of it.

That is adjustable already in profiles.
Max speed FWD. max speed REV.
So reverse can be really slow.

I’m talking about Nico’s version that doesn’t require a special remote. It uses only a single PWM channel.

No pushing any buttons. Just a trigger or thumbwheel.

1 Like

I am fairly new to electric skateboards, but I expect it like that when my board is ready. So right now its possible and standard that the wheels spin in the wrong direction when braking hard on slippy roads? That sounds really dangerous. The alternative is to disable riding backwards? Thats does not sound very convinient.

I just switched to “current (with reverse)” and it shoots directly into reverse without braking first. Scary. Maybe this has to be done via the vesc tool and not the app to be set up correctly?

Lower the cutoff speed? I stopped using it because it’s waaaaaaay too fast in reverse mode.

I had it go almost full speed and pulled the brakes - > went into reverse directly

1 Like

I would discontinue using that feature. :rofl:

In VESC-Tool Current with reverse has no brakes. It is forward and backward.
Current no reverse with brakes is what you want.

Reverse feature via PPM is not implemented in VESC-Tool.
It works when you use NRF Remotes.

Yeah… Part of why I never used it. Didn’t seem very reliable. Maybe I set it up wrong though.

What I would like is better braking when board has come to a complete stop, like when stopping in a slight slope… Any ways of doing that?