VESC Tool Mobile now on the iOS App Store

as much as 5.3 seems cool, our collective experiences with random faults, weird motor detection values, strange motor noises, and other smaller things make me seriously doubt the safety of 5.3, but this is the wrong place for this conversation.

2 Likes

Besides this, there are many other reasons to want to downgrade. One good one is for diagnosis.

1 Like

I personally feel better with doing that sort of thing not on a phone/mobile device

Yeah I think there is actually a page for custom FW upload for those that want to dig in to this type of A-B testing.

It also would become a huge file download when you consider all the FW versions and hardware versions the amount of files really blows up. At that point you would probably need to serve them remotely. I think almost 30mB of the file is compressed FWs, amazing how many hardwares are supported.

3 Likes

Awesome!!!

Thank you! I boycotted Apple/ iPhones ever since they came out. Swore I wouldnā€™t get one. Well, like everything else that I swore I would never do (get married, kids,mind altering substances (( not any more)) , divorce, drive a minivan lol) Iā€™m typing this with a freaking 12 pro.
I have a nRF51, kinda new to VESC, was carrying around my iPhone and android while riding. Couldnā€™t find a n app that like VESC tool for iOS. Now I can just carry around the iPhone.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Congratulations Jeff! The iOS version will have a lot of grateful users being very thankful for your ongoing efforts. Itā€™s really nice to see all the progress and how far VESC-Software has come in the last years.
Itā€™s good to see you and Ben working together to push the project further and further in the direction of the first real Open Source software environment for electric drive systems.

When I look at the most recent work found in the Beta-Tool, it really amazes me. Silent HFI, sensor-less position control down to sub 1Ā° precision, scripting interface for QML and LISP codeā€¦
One huge step after another is taken and in consequence the project gets more attention from interested and skilled developers feeding back valuable input. Itā€™s really exiting to see things moving so fast forward into the right direction.

With the VESC-Tool 3.01 and FW 5.3 my board is running sweeter than ever and all the tricky motors always register spot on with only the time constant sometimes needing adjustment. Even the non salient Go-Kart motors now pull tons of torque from stand still without any stutter. AMAZING!

6 Likes

It does work. I just tested it.

The app looks nice. I like the multi-settings feature. Thatā€™s neat.

Whatā€™s the ā€œcontrolsā€ menu for? It doesnā€™t seem to do anything.

3 Likes

Controls should let you spin the motor based on current/RPM/duty to test it out, much like you would on the vesc tool desktop with the keyboard/ the bottom left bar.

Right. Thatā€™s what I thought but itā€™s not working. Maybe itā€™s only supported on VESC FW 5.3. Iā€™m still at 5.2 and too chicken to upgrade. :slight_smile:

BTW, the BMS tab doesnā€™t seem to support the Ennoid BMS in the ā€œDieBieMS modeā€. Would be a nice feature update to get it working.

I believe this isnā€™t a new function. Itā€™s been available for a while now

And firmware discrepancy shouldnā€™t be the fault if every feature is backwards compatible. Maybe a bug or we are missing something

1 Like

If you have a ppm app or remote input constantly sending it will override the command sent by controls. Disabling the app should allow it to work.

1 Like

Does the latest app finally have a way to start a foc_openloop command? I never got it to work because theres no way to send live packets. At least Iā€™m not aware of it.

lmao idk why this is flagged but the self-praise is off the charts

Could you clarify?

Oh come on, heā€™s praising the developers. I know Trampa is not particularly popular here but letā€™s be fair.

11 Likes

Just got it, now Iā€™m kinda upset I spent a day figuring out how to install Lineage OS on my 8 year old Nexus tablet.
Doesnā€™t seem to have the ā€œfullā€ interface like you can have on android, but if all the settings and wizards are there Iā€™m good.

Confirmed working with my NRF51 based BT module in my V1 Ubox VESC.

Maybe, imo it sounded a lot like ā€œtrampa is so cool and always the bestā€. :smiley:

Iā€™ve tried with three iOS devices and canā€™t seem to get anything to show up in the VESC tool.

Two iPhone 12s and a new iPad

Focbox unity in a flux with a Davega

BKB xenith with Bluetooth in a DIY

Both show up in iOSā€™s Bluetooth settings and say ā€œconnectedā€. Both show up in YoursTruly

Neither show up in VESC tool.

Any ideas?

Very weird, is the permissions dialog coming up?

Oh also you might need to not be connected in another app? I think after it connects it stops advertising so you need to connect from the VESC app.

1 Like