vesc tool "CanBus is not supported in this version of the tool" please help!

Hello everyone! I just received my second ESC and motor from Torqueboards. (4.12 vesc and 6374 motor) when trying to set them up for canbus communications ( I’m on the newest release and firmware, it happens with every version/firmware)
I get an error stating that

“can bus is not supported on this version of vesc tool”

I’ve tried so many solutions to no avail and see many people with the same problem but no solution. Trampa’s best attempt at support was “it works for me”

I also run into the issue where when I try to run the app settup wizard on the master/slave vesc while the other is plugged in over can I get the error " one or more of your vescs are on an outdated firmware " I’ve reflashed the firmware many times and it changes nothing. The vesc tool lists both vescs in the bottom left and I can select the slave vesc.

Ackmaniac works flawlessly. When I use the app wizard I get the option to settup a master or slave vesc. VT doesn’t prompt me with those options and I’m not sure it ever had before.

Currently I’m running them through canbus on ackmaniac firmware but I cannot use my VX2 remote on that firmware so right now I’m stuck with my shitty emergency ppm remote.

Does anyone have experience with this issue ? Please help me. I want to use dual motors on my vx2 :sob:

As far as I have been able to come across the concensus on the problem is " it’s just something wrong with your PC " I will try to set them up on another PC when I have access. Currently I cannot do anything to change any CAN settings on either vesc (can’t set a vesc ID) but ackmaniac has 0 problems with these features.

I am running Windows 10 pro with the newest version of the vesc tool for windows. (Just redownloaded it today)

Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

1 Like

PM’ed you. You can also always program them separately.

1 Like

@torqueboards Programming them isn’t the problem. I have already tried programming individually and then activating can forwarding but it does not work. My problem is that the canbus tools of the vesc program simply do not work. My vescs are programmed fine.

1 Like

totally weird… FW5.01 werks fine on my boards…

:woman_shrugging:t4: :man_shrugging:t4: :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I have also seen this error message. It seems like the executable was compiled without a flag set or something. Not sure; I didn’t investigate because I didn’t plan to use CANBUS.

Screenshot from 2020-07-23 19-53-23

4 Likes

The compiler issue is what I’ve also heard. It has to be something with how my computer extracts the files or some sort of architecture VT uses that doesn’t play nice. Makes no sense that ackmaniac works fine.

I get that when I try to use the canbus tab, but enabling can forwarding still works no problem

4 Likes

Wish it were that simple for me :man_shrugging:

Bump. Help!!!

1 Like

have you tried other versions of the VESC Tool?

2 Likes

When you extracted the tool and ran the program the first time, did it create a folder named “osm tiles”?

I noticed this w tool 1.25 and always have to delete that folder before I run the program. Otherwise, it gives me issues w canbus and detection.

3 Likes

So I had this issue as well and resolved it after flashing the firmware by going to each ESC individually and making sure that the canbus is enabled on both sides. I set mine to something like CAN_1_2 (i cant remember exactly what its called). If its set as disabled, you will see this message.

3 Likes

Tried over 10 versions/firmwares. They are all broken. It’s something specifically between vesc tool and my computer. Ackmaniac works flawlessly.

2 Likes

Will check this out and report back after work. This is the first shred of hope for a fix lol.

do you a bluetooth module?
maybe get it real close version-wise and flash the firmware over bluetooth?

I’m grasping at straws here with ya…

maybe try a lynux version with linux running on a thumbdrive?

If you use the canbus function in the connections tab it gives this error.

Where you need to go for canbus functionality is in the lower left corner. They just magically appear there if they’re on the canbus line connected. Or there was a scan button… dunno… but that one works and it’s all you need

Also bluetooth android app is a lil bit more straightforward on this

2 Likes

oh nice one.

Can Bus is not CAN FWD. :slight_smile:

Wow so I’m guessing there was a computer with canbus connected to it and vesc tool operating directly on the can bus at some point. neat.

I “can” confirm using the CAN bus tab in connections I can get this error. never touched that tab before.

have used:

• “Can Forward” at the bottom of connections tab.
  • CAN-> button on right side button bar.
  • or the new can device list after can scan on bottom of the left menu. ( vry handty. )
4 Likes

Yeah I can set those settings just fine but it doesn’t matter because the can forwarding doesn’t work. I cannot change the ID of either vesc in vesc tool so they have their default ID. When I try to can forward to the slave vescs ID it still doesn’t work. If I put in 1 as the can forward it tells me it can’t find the firmware and disconnects the vesc. Can forwarding does not work. In ackmaniac all these features work flawlessly.

1 Like

I do have one but I’m pretty sure I fried it. :smile: Can I even set all those settings from the app ?

1 Like

Still doesn’t work. It shows both vescs but I can’t actually interact with the second one. Can forwarding doesn’t work. The issue I have is very specific and is between my computer and the vesc tool. Not the vesc tool itself or how I’m trying to set it up.