VESC-Tool 6 release

Fantastic, thank you.

+1 on this if anyone has what looks like a turbo-fucked ESC, I don’t have an ST Link or an excess of brain cells but managed to rescue an old dead unity with a second ESC and this method

4 Likes

I’m in that category, hoping to use a neobox to revive a littlefoc3.1. Wish me luck

5 Likes

NEOBOX worked as SWD! Lf3.1 lives!
For some reason now my imu is dead.

4 Likes

ok so vesc tool says there is no loaded firmware for the hardware type.
asked spintend and they don’t have the ubox75 v2 fw6, am i being a dum dum on this?

1 Like

Can you take a screenshot of this part of the tool?

The way the VESC tool knows which firmware to use, is based on the Hw: [NAME], which in the example above is “60”

If that doesn’t match (because maybe one of their older custom firmwares used a different hardware name) then you won’t be able to update just by clicking upload.

However, if you are sure it’s supposed to be running UBOX_V2_75 firmware, you can load the file manually from the archive @ Index of /vesc_fw_archive by using the “custom file” feature. You may have to update the bootloader (next tab over) if it fails to load, as that was changed for 6.0.

If you do, give Silent HFI a try and post your results in the Silent HFI thread. That’s one of the few ESCs that has both phase shunts and phase filters, so it would be really interesting to see how well it works.

4 Likes

On the app, it’s a pain in the arse to plug it into the pc rn.
I’ll defo post the results, however i’m running inrunners which don’t like shfi

edit- @jaykup you magnificent bastard it worked

1 Like

Did 8 ish miles and walked away unscathed.

4 Likes

You must have had a good wifi connection

5 Likes

True story at was at work and doing this underneath the wireless AP with the carbon fiber lids off and wearing a tin foil hat for maximum reception

2 Likes

sHFI woks fine here , vesc6 trampa + freerchobby motors
had issues whith sensors , with sHFI no sensor needed now ! thx

2 Likes

On my sHFI test board with Trampa 6 ESCs and torqueboard motors, I forget that I don’t have the sensor cables plugged in. It’s really good. With a full face on I can’t even hear the click when the motors stop from a dead start.

2 Likes

I have some sk3’s with broken sensors, maybe I will try it out on them. I could use either TB6 or focbox, wonder which will work lol

1 Like

I would put my money on TB6 playing better with sHFI

1 Like

Same, they’ve been sitting since I bought them lol, probably gonna try this on the honsra build

2 Likes

i found SHFI would run 1 if not both motor backwards too much to be near cars
and on fw6.0 my vesc on canbus would cutout at random (might have been a faultcode but can’t check without a logger) and being thrown off at 35mph hurts lol

That might have to do with the motors and the flux linkage and how well the motors are dialled in.
For example: We tested with the big 63100 motors a while back because we wanted to help a customer using this motor. The air gap (magnets to stator) is pretty big and the magnets might have less strength as well. In consequence the flux linkage is a lot lower then on the Trampa motors or the Hoyt St. and some others motors with a strong flux linkage. This has an impact on the sHFI behaviour.
I guess all motors with big rotors and without support bearing in the front will probably need a bigger air gap to avoid magnets touching the stator and in consequence the sHFI capabilities might suffer a bit.
At least that is what we have seen so far. The Ld-Lq difference and the flux linkage value are good indicators on sHFI capabilities. Higher values = better.

4 Likes

You should try lowering the “HFI Gain” parameter from 0.300 to 0.100 . This 100% fixed 1 of the motors occasionally running in reverse for me on sHFI.

3 Likes

I have a Unity I am running 23.64 on.
Today I tried to flash the 6.0 firmware using my android phone via Bluetooth and it does not really go anywhere.
Right away it says bootloader timed out.

I have been able to go back and forth between 23.64 and 5.1 or 5.2 before just using my phone.

I know.
I like to live dangerously…

I am bummed because I was wanting to try running 5.2 and now i have to open the enclosure like a caveman.

You try loading bootloader first with generic then 6.0?

1 Like