VESC-Tool 6 release

@Trampa can you please comment on the differences between the 4 new versions of HFI, and what Trampa recommends for VESC with phase shunts (high side) vs battery shunts (low side)?

3 Likes

That’s a chapter on its own. I’ll try to open a new thread about the options very soon. The Silent options are predominantly for phase shunt + phase filtered units. They should also work with phase shunt units that don’t feature phase filters. The other HFI options work for all hardware types.

3 Likes

How are you supposed know what you have is a question worth asking too

1 Like

You ask @jaykup :rofl:

7 Likes

This is cool, looking forward to this new silent HFI, I have some motors that I never managed to get to work with HFI or VSS

1 Like

ESCs based on the VESC - The Citadel - Essential References for Esk8 - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

5 Likes

Frick yeah, fiend on baby!

1 Like

what an anticlimax.

updated the app on android

connected to both boards and tried to upload new firmware

erase timed out on both boards.

one board is escapes trying to upgrade from 5.2
the other board is d75 trying to upgrade from 5.3

3 Likes

Ok so i got it onto the escapes. Tried about 7 or 8 times with the “upload all” button and just kept getting timeouts.

Tried a few times on the local esc and just got timeouts.

Wondered if i connected to the other esc via CAN if that would work… Boom! First shot.

Took a further 11 attempts to get it onto the local esc. But its on!

#justvescthings

6 Likes

I just tried all four of the “silent HFI” sensor options on Stormcore 60D+ with the new FW and it didn’t like any of them. On the “45 Deg V0V7 HFI (Silent)” one I also tried boosting the HFI start voltage and it didn’t seem to make any difference. HFI and VSS sensor options all worked fine as they did before (with chirping) as did hall sensors which I ended up going back to.

3 Likes

69.69. Nice

2 Likes

Font is different and small…

1 Like

Bluetooth can be painful for FW updates. That’s why we worked hard on the WiFi solution. The VESC Express handles that matter in seconds. That blue bar moves fast from left to right.

2 Likes

On both types of escs, it has uploaded to the slave esc first shot.

I’m over 20 attempts to get it onto the master side of the d75 and still no dice.

Keen to know if others are having similar issues or if it’s a combination of my phone/bluetooth/esc.

2 Likes

it doesn’t even get to uploading the firmware. it uploads the bootloader and then times out erasing the buffer.

it seems really strange to me that on both types of esc it has had zero issues uploading over CAN to the slave, but struggles enormously with the local esc.

doesn’t really help the vast majority of us using bluetooth.

3 Likes

I gotta wait for the iOS app update.

2 Likes

My best advice would be to stick with 5.3

I had two perfectly functional boards this morning. Now they’re both fucked.

8 Likes

Noted, will definitely leave my commuter alone

2 Likes

We know that sometimes a FW update via BLE can fail. The device should then fall back to the old FW. It might depend on the BLE module and the phone as well. Could also have to do with the layout of the controller PCB etc. Personally I had very little issues in the past but the 2-4 minute wait for the update was always a bit annoying. That is why Vedder wanted to create something faster and he came up with the idea to generate code for a Wifi solution.

Your issue could also have something to do with the CAN-Bus being overwhelmed. Depending on the devices you have attached, the CAN resistance is maybe too low. Each device lowers the resistance on the CAN bus and at some stage it can become unstable when big chunks of data are transferred.
De-soldering a resistor on one unit can help in that case. That unit should be a unit in the middle of the BUS string, not at the end. The total CAN resistance should not drop lower than about 50 to 60 Ohm. If each device has 220 Ohm, then 4 devices bring down the resistance to 55 Ohm (220/4). I’m not sure what the termination resistance on third party devices is. I have seen 120 Ohm on some units and that brings down the resistance to 60Ohm with two devices already.

1 Like

I’m gonna chalk this up to there is something wrong with my overall system.

But the board that i did manage to fully update to fw6 now doesn’t function properly at all.

I’ve spent the best part of the day fucking around with this shit, and i’m pissed off so i’m not gonna comment any further.

7 Likes