VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Welcome to the end of motor sensors!

8 Likes

If you have a vesc that supports itā€¦?

Nope, even older ones will have a pretty nice startup now.

7 Likes

Does A.S.S. benefit the most from hardware that has the phase voltage filters?

1 Like

How do you define older ones.

Older trampa ones (mk3/4/5)

or older hardware in general v4/v6 non tramoa vescs . Unity/xenith, Flipsky, makerX, my 2 year old 4.12 TB vesc etc

6 Likes

2 Likes

Test it, we can not test all HW from third party companies.

2 Likes

Obviously. Itā€™s a difference if itā€™s a hardware based feature or solely software.

If you say A.S.S does NOT need a specific niche part built into the vesc to work then any vesc should work. Thatā€™s what im asking.

1 Like

Something like phantom kohmingulators for example.

5 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if the max capability of A.S.S. is tied to hardware with phase voltage filters. And then hardware without the phase voltage filters can still use it but just not as well. @Trampa am I correct?

1 Like

It might work better on some ESCs than others and it can also depend on the motor.
I guess we will see some feedback soon.

1 Like

Sort of correct, yes.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Just trying to understand the known factors at play here. I understand motors are a mixed bag and so is 3rd party hardware.

And we all know that sometimes details also play a role. We donā€™t know how well designed certain controllers are. It is simply not in our hands. Small details can make a lot of differences.
Some designs will be better than others and that is in the hands of the manufacturer.
And then we talk SYSTEM. Controller A with motor B or motor C etcā€¦
Iā€™m 100% sure Benjamin Vedder will try to make it as good as possible to work on the widest set of HW.

3 Likes

Cool! Iā€™ll check it out.

Are there any details anywhere on what A.S.S. is doing from a technical standpoint? I know I can dissect the code and figure it out eventually. Just asking for convenience sake.

That is a question for the master himself on his forum. Accurate phase voltage measurement plays a big role. BV stated that he could get it to 100% perfection if he combines it with a tiny HFI bleep in future. So our boards will probably bleep for a fraction of a second and then pull off with 100% torque.

4 Likes

Check out the negative ramping setting for smart reverse. I know when mine was set at 3s, it would do something very similar to what you describe.

Basically the regenerative braking stops, and then it starts the 3 seconds of negative ramping. So if you think of it, for that first 1 second, youā€™ll have little to no reverse throttle, and it will feel like your brakes cut out. After that, it will start to kick in and feel like you regain brakes. I now set mine to 1s at 15% Duty and it works great, much less noticeable. Then again though, it could be something sensor related, iā€™m not too sure.

(I know my reply is super late, but maybe other members in the future may find it useful)

3 Likes

have you tested any inrunner motors with A.S.S. yet?

2 Likes

I havenā€™t, no. Give it a try!

2 Likes

Tested it a bit with HD60T
Works pretty well going forward, only slight bit of cogging.
Not as good with smart reverse - canā€™t go down a hill, stop and start reversing :frowning:

Sometimes one wheel doesnā€™t spin much and just gets dragged without a human on the board:

5 Likes