VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

That on the Unity?

Yessir

Please really thoroughly analyze wiring etc.? What remote and app settings are you using?

Seems like that behavior would have been pretty noticable and reproducible on the bench so my money is on funny wiring.

3 Likes

I went on ~14 mile round trip to my grandma’s for Mother’s Day. First extended ride on Unity FW Beta 5.2. Very pleased with the results, no issues at full throttle for extended periods but I switched to an unlimited speed mode (No ERMP limit).

Log departing

Log returning

That behaviour to me says cold solder joint on one or more of the phase leads.

1 Like

This board has been running for over a year as my main board with no issues like this.

@deodand no changes in wiring, haven’t opened the enclosure in months even. Popped it open and all wiring looks good. Bullets all seated firmly, xt connectors as well, no phase leads exposed (staggered lengths of joints to be extra safe).

Remote is the maytech V2 waterproof split trigger remote. What all settings would you like me to post screen shots of?

1 Like

Also trying to real time log the motor stopping issue as it’s repeatable at 95% duty cycle but it won’t allow me to find local folders on my phone as writable spots even after allowing permissions.

1 Like

Definitely something weird going on. Yeah if you can get some data that would be helpful. Is it reproducible under no load still even after you checked wiring and the motors cooled down?

Yes. 100% of the time. Brake issue as well though its on the same motor side (left).

Touching that wheel/motor at all while holding brakes causes the brake stutter.

Now I’m getting the full stop on the motor even at 85% duty cycle. Dropped it to 75% and it’s gone.

It’s refusing to restore my backup configurations.

Let me re-give it all permissions.

Threw me some errors about firmware not being correct out of nowhere…

Reboot cleared it up and it’s connected again fine and says FW is fine.

Screen recorded 85% duty cycle real time stats while accelerating slowly and quickly. The quick accels are when the motor fully cuts to braking (not free roll)

Going to have to take a look at this tomorrow, got to head to see my momma :+1:

Seems weird it wasn’t doing this before and now it is consistently. Sound like something physically changed since the code hasn’t. Did you re-run motor calibration?

Have you checked the solder on all the bullets? Some times a cold solder joint can last a really long time and finally fatigue and fail. The bullets on the unity are the first thing I’d check, those were ordered pre-made not soldered by the PCB factory and we found they are not always soldered consistently.

3 Likes

Maybe try reverting the code to the old version and see if it stops?

4 Likes

Yeah. That’s also a great idea.

2 Likes

Definitely understand. 200kv motors, 10s battery, 90A motor limit, 100A battery limit. - 70A max brake, - 35A regen brake.

I didn’t rerun a detection yet. After trying a run up and down the block at 85% duty cycle, everything seemed fine.

It was running fine for about a mile but I could feel the weaker acceleration. That’s when I changed both motors configs up to 90% and hit the issue immediately.

I will check all the joints tomorrow but I considered reflashing unity 23.46 FW just to see if there was any weirdness or if everything was back to normal. Any reasons that wouldn’t eliminate physical issues? Seems like a quick test. I could also rerun motor detection wizard and try and force the issue again.

Let me know what you think is most helpful tomorrow. Tell your mom I say hey.

Yeah if it runs perfect with the old code would be a good sign something funny is going on software side. Could just be a bad calibration I guess.

It looks like you are just setting a duty cycle limit and not the new current rolloff percentage?

I changed this setting in the mobile app:

Following this suggestion:

What else should I have changed?

Those are two different settings, the new one is listed at the bottom of that list I think

1 Like

Yep, so they should both be lowered? Only one?

is there a setting under FOC that corresponds to this one under BLDC?

1 Like

Just the bottom one. The other one should be left as is.

1 Like